cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[2010] Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images

xadox
Level 5

We are backing up a vmware with GRT. The most of the time the backup works without problems.

But sometimes we receive the following error:

V-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images

Accourding to the Knowledge Base we have non of the cases.

8 REPLIES 8

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please explain your setup a bit more.

Are you backup direct to the ESX hosts of through vcenter ?

What is installed on the VM(s), is always the same vm failing ?

Please also explain what you have tried, so we do not suggest the same results.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129185&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

xadox
Level 5

We have two ESX 4.1 Servers and a vCenter Server 4.1. We are backing our vm's throught the vCenter.

The vm that causes the error is a "Windows Server 2003 Standard". The vm has a virtual disk for the os about 60GB and a second disk for data. The second one is about 1,8TB big and has a GUID Partition Table.

The second virtual disk file is on a VM Datastore with VMFS 3.33. The Datastore has around 2.8TB and is created with two LUNs 1TB plus 1.8TB. On the extend is arround 0.9TB of free space.

Actually we have checked all the solutions explained in the reffered link. Non of them solved the problem.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi xadox,

Your media server is fully patched, right?

xadox
Level 5

The media server is a Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard. Fully patched.

The Error was occouring in R2 and R3 of Backup Exec 2010.

Water_Street_So
Level 3

We are seeing the exact same issue.  Seems to be completely random.  For instance we have roughly 25 VMs on our vSphere 4.1 environement using shared storage and 4 ESXi 4.1 hosts.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 fully patched.

All VMs are 2008 R2 Datacenter machines.

The media server is 2008 R2 Standard.

The BE Agent is up to date on all VMs that we backup and none of them vary.  We have roughly 6 LUNs that are all VMFS, all drives in our VM's are straight VMDKs no NFS shared storage or any other mounting point.

Last night I think we saw 2 of them with the issue out of 12 which had the error described above.  All other B2D jobs ran flawlessly.  All Disk to Tape duplications ran without a hitch also with the exception of the 4th one and for some reason even though the B2D ran fine it recieved an error of Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine and stated that the vmdk file was corrupt, which I find hard to believe and am actually retrying that duplication job now.

Jadeonpax
Level 3

Good day,

Does anybody have an idea why this error appears when i target to VCenter and completes when targets to ESX host?

Done almost all the suggestions, directly to ESX host is ok but i think it would be much better if i can do it from VCenter.

Thank you.

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Can you open a new discussion in new thread for this

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The original poster mentions GPT (Guid Parttion table)

Currently we don;t support GPT disks for any GRT related VMware backups - this is due to be solved in Backup Exec 2012 but in current versions you are not supported and will see various messages depending on what is located inside the GPT disk.

The second poster does not mention GPT so may have a different issue.