cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

250 limit for Corrupt Files?

Jeremy_Sherriff
Level 3
Hi all

I've done an Exchange DR (seriously dead server) and now have a lot of corrupt e-mails in my new private mail store. Veritas backs up OK but, as expected, complains about the corrupt files.
My problem is that the job seems to stop when it gets to 250 corrupt files. If I change the selections to exclude those I know are corrupt, it backs up more but each time it gets to 250, the job stops! This is brick-level, the info store backs up fine.

Any ideas how to turn off the 250 limit and back up the entire mailbox set, I suspect there approx 5,000 "corrupt" mail items?

Thanks in advance
Jeremy
7 REPLIES 7

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What is the error message you get in the job log when the job stops? Since when does this problem occur? Try to take a backup of a few mailboxes which are indicated as corrupt and test if it succeeds.
Also refer to the following technote:

Title: When backing up Microsoft Exchange 5.5 / 2000 individual mailboxes, the message " WARNING: "?Top of Information Store?? " is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify." is returned in the backup log as an exception in Backup Exec.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255047

Install Service Pack 3 for Backup Exec 9.1 from the following link:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 3http://support.veritas.com/docs/278302

Hope this helps. If the problem persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Jeremy_Sherriff
Level 3
This is a fresh install on a newly-built server, but the e-mail itself has been recovered from a crashed exchange server.

Yes, the messages are like the article with the "this file cannot verify" error. The final error code is 0xa000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.

I know the mail is corrupt, what I want is for the job to continue past the 250 mark and back up everything, which will be about 170,000 messages, about 5,500 of which will be corrupt.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We suggest you to install SP3 as suggested in our earlier reply.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jeremy_Sherriff
Level 3
SP3 made no difference.

I have implemented a work-around using ExMerge to dump the mailboxes into PST files each night, I don't believe we will get it working under v9.1.

Thanks anyway.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Please let us know then if we should consider this case as closed then.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Jeremy_Sherriff
Level 3
Three different Veritas technicianas and not one of you can help? No the case isn't closed, I have implemented a work-around as the product seems unable to work in this situation to my satisfaction.

I want is an answer of yes or no; does BEWS 9.1 have a limit of 250 corrupt files before it cancels a job? If so, then my work-around is valid. If the answer is no, then the case needs to stay open while someone assist me with sorting out why the job cancels when it reaches the 250th "corrupt" file.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Jeremy,

There is no limit of 250 corrupt files to be backed up. I would like to know if you have referred to the following technote:

"The backup of the item is bad" (a000fe2d HEX or e000fe2d HEX) is reported during a failed Microsoft Exchange mailbox backup.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/261457

If not then please refer to it and check the results.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool