cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Tape Copy

Donna_Bagby
Level 4
Setup is first to folder on disk and duplication job runs to copy to tape. In addition to that tape, we want a second tape with the same information. How and what is step by step procedure to get a second copy of the tape generated on the duplication job. All servers involved are Windows 2003 running Backup Exec Version 10d.
4 REPLIES 4

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

You could create a second duplicate job for the Backup to Disk backup, this time with the second tape.

If the above doesnt answer your question, could you please elaborate on the following:

1)What kind of autoloader are you using?

2)How many slots?

3)How many drives?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Donna_Bagby
Level 4
1. IBM 3583 Tape Library
2. 60 slots
3. 4 Tape Drives

I have tried to setup a second job using the job duplication wizard but maybe I am missing something but it doesn't allow it. I have a full and differential job backing up to disk scheduled and had no problems using the wizard to duplicate those jobs to tape. You stating I can run another duplicate job for the second tape after the first duplicate finishes? I don't understand the procedure. Can you give me step by step please using the wizard?

THANKS for your help. I really APPREICATE it.

Nick_Mascio
Level 3
Hi Donna,
I understand what you are trying to do. We have the same requirement but we use a Virtual Tape Library instead of standard disk to accomplish the tape creation process. The VTL "sits" in between our HP library and the BE10d server. When the disk backup is finished, the VTL fires off two copies of the job to the library. The trick is to find a VTL that can offload directly from disk without involving BE. If done properly the tape labels remain intact and the BE database is none the wiser. There are several companies offering VTLs with this functionality. EMC/Dell and Quantum come to mind. We have a Cybernetics product that does the job nicely.

Cheers,
Nick

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Click on "Job Setup". Select the source Backup to Disk job.

Select the option "New job to duplicate backup sets" > "Duplicate sets following a job".

If the first Duplicate job to tape is scheduled to run on Drive 1 of the four tape drives you have, select the "Drive 2" in "Device and Media" and the corresponding media set.

If you have any doubts, please revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.