cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3x Backup Exec Options (Vmware)

kcollinson
Level 3

Hi, Thanks for looking at my post…

I have spent the last 2 days looking at Symantec Backup Exec options for backing up a 10 Guest 1 Host Sphere design.

All 10 guests are running SBS 2008 with Exchange configured.

I am approaching the Backup design from a restore point of few “As recommend”, the common restore request will be deleted emails and office documents.

Backups will be stored on a LTO-3 drive “NO SAN available” attached to the vCentre server, this is where I plan to install Backup Exec.

I seem to have 3 options:

1. Backup Exec 10 with Guest Windows and Exchange Agents
  2. Backup Exec 10 with AVVI agent
  3. Backup Exec System Recovery (Unsure if I should be running the Virtual Edition)

It seems a lot of IT professionals favour the agent on guest approach due to either lack of knowledge on Virtual environments or lack of trust and or API ability.

Would really appreciated some advice and or recommendations on the above solutions, not so worried about costs at the moment would rather ensure I have the right design in place.

Thanks for reading,
Karl.

8 REPLIES 8

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1> When you are trying to backup the exchange VMS in the ESX then to have the GRT functionality you have to install remote agent on all the exchange servers and also you should have exchange license installed on the BE server.

So if you have all the 10 exchange server as vm i don't recommend buying the avvi agent in that case. Avvi agent will help to manage all your vms in better way and you can backup them in one go but if you have the databse vms then you have to install raws on them to have the GRT restore functionality

2> If you don't want to have GRT functionality then definately you can have the AVVI license and backup the 10vms without having the raws installed on all the machines and that will be it. But while restoring you have to restore the complete machine and can't restore the individual mailboxes.

3> If you have lot of other vms including 10 exchange vms that needs to be backed up then you have to purchase the database license, remote agent license and avvi license.

Please do revert in case of any confusion

kcollinson
Level 3

Thanks Sazz points rewarded "very helpful"...smiley

Agents aside, what product should i be looking to use for GRT/Exchange....

Backup Exec 2010 or Backup Exec System Recovery and what are the main advanges with the Virtual Edition of System Revory "GRT"?

Thanks,

Karl.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

GRT without AVVI uses a LAN based mechanism so can hit performance \ bandiwdtyh limitations.

GRT over AVVI - assuming you can SAN attach your Datasore locations to youe media server can do a SAB based backup which should be quicker

Also backup AVVI gives you a faster DR restore process as you restore the VMDK files as a complete system. If you don't use AVVI you will have to backup the drives and the system state of the Exchange servers and then do file system restores - which for an Exchange server would require multiple passes so be complicated and take longer.

kcollinson
Level 3

Thanks Colin!

To confirm i can use GRT with AVVI? "I need to ensure I can restore individual messages into a live Exchange Environment”

To ensure I covered all the bases I was LOOKING to do a RAWS with Exchange Agents and treat the VMs as a Pysical machine (Enabling Exchange GRT) and then do a AVVI backup for the VMDK files to a SAS attached SAN on the same SAS controller as the Tape drive (But only run the AVVI VMDK backup @ the weekends).

This may seem over kill I just need to ensure I CAN restore the VM into a DR ESX server using the VMDK file and have GRT for Exchange..

The datastore currently is located on the GSX SAS HOST controller, no iSCSI SAN currently included in design….

Thanks,
Karl.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

--

To confirm i can use GRT with AVVI? "I need to ensure I can restore individual messages into a live Exchange Environment”

--

Yes, you can use GRT with AVVI.

But to be compliant in your setup you will need 10 (for each Exchange server) licenses for Exchange.

With the AVVI & GRT technology combined you will make a single pass backup of the VMDK and also have the possibility to restore individual files or mailboxes and even mail items !

kcollinson
Level 3

Hi ZeRoC00L, Thx for your reply..

I have 10 Exchange licences as part of the SBS environment, do i need to purchase another 10 additional licences?

Do i need to input the Exchange Licences into the BE installation or is it purply for MS licence Compliancy "Not looking to skimp just want to understand the product"

Apart from the AVVI licence what other Agents do i require to complete a AVVI (VMDK and GRT) backup for ESX on my vCentre/Backup Exec Server (.e.g RAWS/Exchange etc)?

Thanks,

Karl.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I mean you will need 10 Backup Exec Agents for Exchange for your environment !

In order to use the GRT technology you will need to install the Backup Exec Remote Agent into all the virtual machine's you will backup.

(the license for this agent is included in the AVVI and BE Agent for Exchange)

kcollinson
Level 3

Cheers for all your help people!

All comments relevent and helpful, also had a confrence call with Symantec on Friday covering of licence and technology requirements.

Be interesting now to see how much the Solution with Agents comes in as ;)

Regards,
Karl.