cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A longer Time Windows

JayW
Level 4
    It would be nice to have a longer Time Window than 23:59!  

BEWS12 cannot handle very large backup jobs such as my 2.2TB Weekly full backup.  So I have had to break up the backup into 8 smaller jobs within a policy.  Now if any of those jobs take longer than normal some of the jobs do not finish because of the Time Window.
6 REPLIES 6

jimmer2880
Level 2

I 100% agree with this.   Why would anyone think that it would be smart to limit backup jobs to 1 day?   What a royal pain!

jimmer2880
Level 2

I created a change, or enhancement request here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/be-enhancement-time-window

Please go - and vote for it.  

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I have jobs that have run for longer than 24 hours and they never stopped.

Are you sure you haven't activated the feature that will stop the job after a certain period of time if it hasn't completed?

jimmer2880
Level 2

In my environment, I have 5 jobs, all scheduled to run at the same time, writing to different drives/libraries.  They are all created through 1 of 2 Policies (Different Selection Lists).   They are all "stacked" like this, so that when 1 job finishes, the next will immediately start.

Once the "window" is closed, any job that is still running, will remain running and complete successfully.  However, any jobs in the que will fail to start, as the backup window has now closed.

Because I can't change the start window for an individual selection list (job), without changing all of the jobs created from that policy, it is very painful to work around this limitation.

EDIT: In my case, I'm running BE 2010

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ok, the time window does not mean that the job has to finish in that time. A job can continue to run for more than 24 hours. This window just defines the start time for a job.

This time window is useful in cases where a job does not trigger because of device unavaialbility, in those cases do we want to wait for more than 24 hours?

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

While not as elegant as policies, you can stack jobs the old fashioned way

Create a BEMCMD job to run the second through  ??? job

In the first job, set the job to run the second as a POST command, in the second, set the third to run as a POST command etc.