cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be running low on virtual memory.

Operator10
Level 2
Hi There,

Anyone encounter an error like this before

"Final error: 0xe0008442 - A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be running low on virtual memory.
Final error category: System Errors

Is it related to virtual memory...?? Some assistance and advise would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Nicky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

When you restore any file from an Exchange IS, it always needs the equivalent amount of space of your IS to be available on disk. By default, this location is: C:\Temp.
This can be changed under Tools --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange --> Restore (you will see c:\temp...change to the disk with the most amount of space to store your IS).
However, there is another way around this, and you would stage your restore to disk first. THe problem with restoring GRT from tape is that if you have a hassle, you need to restart again, and going through this process on tape is a lot longer.
Read through the article I wrote last year...it tells you how to do it...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Laters!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Pilsy
Not applicable
I assume that you are doing a Exchange GRT restore from tape of a part of someones mailbox.

I have been told by a tech at symantec that to do a GRT restore you need to have enough disk space on the media server to hold the infostore database.

From what i understand Backup Exec requires to be able to read the entire infostore DB on a HD in order to perform a GRT restore.

CraigV
Hi there,

When you restore any file from an Exchange IS, it always needs the equivalent amount of space of your IS to be available on disk. By default, this location is: C:\Temp.
This can be changed under Tools --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange --> Restore (you will see c:\temp...change to the disk with the most amount of space to store your IS).
However, there is another way around this, and you would stage your restore to disk first. THe problem with restoring GRT from tape is that if you have a hassle, you need to restart again, and going through this process on tape is a lot longer.
Read through the article I wrote last year...it tells you how to do it...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Laters!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What are you trying to do when this happens?  (I don't see Exchange mentioned anywhere in your origianl post)

How much RAM is in the media server?  How big is the page file? 

(BackupExec has always been a memory hungry application)

CraigV
Any further news here?