cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO - BE2012 SBS Edition

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

A client currently uses the Quickstart Edition of BE11d that was bundled with the tape drive.

Been fine up until now where they have started using Sage ACT.

The ACT database file links into a SQL instance and is classed as an Open File and Backup Exec cannot Open it

Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\ACT\ACTdata.ADF - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\ACT\ACTdata.ALF - skipped.

Presumably i need to upgrade them to the full paid version to gain access to AOFO?

They have an SBS2003 server - if i upgrade them to BE2012 SBS Edition will this out of the box allow me to backup these locked files, with no extra agents etc?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You will require SQL agent to backup ACT database however the ADF & ALF will be skipped

during backups  Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61751

Note: AOFO is not recommended for Database backups.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you purchase the BE 2012 SBE version, you will get a licence to backup SQL.  This will enable you to backup the SQL database that ACT links to without any further licences.

As for your .adf and .alf files, you can back them up as ordinary files.  You should use a separate job which enables AOF so that these opened files can be backed up. This job should be a seperate job from the job that backs up the SQL databases because AOF should not be enabled when backing up SQL databases.