cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012: Medium not visible in designated media set after job completes

muxonarization
Level 3

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating BE2012 SBS for our branch offices (10 in total).

I'm pretty familiar with earlier versions of BE, so i setup my B2D job to a RDX drive just like i did it with the older versions.

My problem is that Backup Exec does not display the B2D media in the designated media set after job completion; it always shows as empty.

I can only see the B2D Folder "FLDR00005" in my drive and in the "Backup Exec Windows NT" media set, not the subsequent B2D Files that should be in my media set and the "FLDR".

Where are they?

Could it be another bug ? I already came across the fact, that BE2012 does not like my german localised SQL Server, i had to install the english express version.

My suspicion substantiates from the fact that i also cannot delete my designated media set, BE always says that it's not empty.

Environment:

Windows SBS2003 SP2 german

Backup target: RDX drive with 320GB media

BE2012 with Hotfixes 180689 182395

SQL2005SP4EXPR_english for BE2012

SQL2005SP4 german for our ERP

Please help!

max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

With B2D, now Media sets are not used for setting the OPP and AP as it used be done previously. Media sets are now only used for Tapes.

For B2D you have to configure the time for which you want to keep the data during the creation of the backup job itself. And with the new DLM technique introduced in BE 2012 it will take care when to expire the backup set from disk backups. Here is the link to read more on DLM - Data Lifecycle Management:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

Its whole lot of new experience.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Sush---
Level 6

Till BE 2010 you were able to see the .bkf files in the B2D. But with BE 2012 you will nomore able to see the .bkf files as everything is now backed up as Backup Set and uses different Set for each resources (C: , D: ...etc)

So its not a bug but by design.

Thanks,

-Sush...

muxonarization
Level 3

Hi Sush,

thank you for your explanation, now i found the backup sets in my B2D Folder "FLDR000005".

I was unsettled whether the policy for overwrite protection, that i configured in my media set, will be enforced or not. But then i digged deeper and found an 'expiration date' for the backup set, that must be what i was looking for.

Is there a better way to configure OPP and such for B2D scenarios in BE2012 without media sets?

It just bugs me that it will always be empty, but the backup sets are invisibly assigned to it.

On another note, i retired then deleted all the backupsets that were assigned to this mediaset and tried to delete it, but BE still won't let me ("not empty"). Even after i deleted the "FLDR" and redirected the backup job that was using it.

Thanks,

max

Sush---
Level 6

With B2D, now Media sets are not used for setting the OPP and AP as it used be done previously. Media sets are now only used for Tapes.

For B2D you have to configure the time for which you want to keep the data during the creation of the backup job itself. And with the new DLM technique introduced in BE 2012 it will take care when to expire the backup set from disk backups. Here is the link to read more on DLM - Data Lifecycle Management:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

Its whole lot of new experience.

Thanks,

-Sush...

muxonarization
Level 3

wonderful, exactly what i was looking for.

Thank you for your first class support.

muxonarization
Level 3

perhaps you can help me a little more out on this matter.

Mr. Tsaur describes in his blog that DLM is intended for disk storage systems except removable disk cartridge. This is what i have, a RDX drive with those HDD like cartridges.

This document describes how removeable B2D Folders will be handled after transition to BE2012:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178524

It says i should keep my retention policies based on media sets.

So should i stick to media sets in this case?

Or maybe DLM is the better solution anyway?

Thanks,

max

Sush---
Level 6

For RDX drives since they come under the category of Removable drives you will have to use the Media set method.

If you are creating any B2D on other local drives then DLM is the better solution.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not just RDX drives that are considered as removable.  Things like USB drives are also considered removable.  When you create storage on these kind of drives, they are called Disk Cartridge Storage and media set settings applies, except for the append setting.  You cannot append to any media on Disk Storage or Disk Cartridge Storage.  Append only applies to Tape Storage.