cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVVI Licensing

ricdanger
Level 4
Hi there, I have the following scenario in-house: - 2 ESXi servers that are serving production VMs. This VMs require protection, and are backed up by BackupExec 2010 - 2 ESXi servers that is being used for testing. Not a single VM in these servers are being backed up by BackupExec. The VMs are never moved to the main production ESXi servers - The 4 servers are connected to the same vCenter Server, and all VMs show on BE console How many AVVI licenses will I need to get in this scenario? 2 or 4? -- What if I connect the two test ESXi servers to a different vCenter that is never added to BackupExec 2010? Will I need to license the hosts as well?
8 REPLIES 8

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

This will help you

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/techtip-backup-vmware-virtual-infrastructure-usin...

it's my understanding that you get unlimited Windows Agents to install on your VMs. However, you have to get a AVVI-License per VMware ESX host you're running. So if you have 2 ESX hosts, you need to license AVVI 2 times.

If you want a granular restore capacity for the VMs (Operating system) you will require the Remote agent License for backing and restoring a single file off the VM.

Hope this helps.....

Dev_T
Level 6
any news?

ricdanger
Level 4
Thanks for your answer, but you didn't fully answer my question.
Maybe I can give you real world scenarios:

Scenario 1:
- One vCenter
- Multiple ESXi servers
- One ESXi servers runs VMs that are NEVER backed up by BE2010 and are never migrated to another host?
- Do I have to buy one AVVI for this server?

Scenario 2:
- Two vCenters: production and Dev
- ESXi servers on the production vCenter are all licensed with AVVI.
- The ESXi servers connected to Dev vcenter are never backed up
 - Do I have to buy a license for that ESXi server?

The licensing terms seem to say so. Something like "you must license every ESXi in your environment", but it doesn't seem right to force me to buy licenses for ESX servers that are not being backed up...

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
AVVI is licensed simply on a per ESX server basis. There is no "per CPU" or "per Guest Virtual machine" licenses required. Simply count the number of Esx servers in the environment.
Example
3 esx server hosting 10 guest virtual machine each require 3 backup exec agent for AVVi

So you have to buy the license for the addition ESX servers

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Scenario 1: ** NO LICENSE REQUIRED
- One vCenter
- Multiple ESXi servers
- One ESXi servers runs VMs that are NEVER backed up by BE2010 and are never migrated to another host?
- Do I have to buy one AVVI for this server?

Scenario 2: ESXi servers on the production vCenter are all licensed with AVVI. ** NO LICENSE REQUIRED
- Two vCenters: production and Dev
- ESXi servers on the production vCenter are all licensed with AVVI.
- The ESXi servers connected to Dev vcenter are never backed up
 - Do I have to buy a license for that ESXi server
?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Licensing is per ESX host, so dont buy license for ESX host whose VM you dont plan to protect.

Thanks

Dev_T
Level 6
@BEsymc

I have told the same thins....

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

OK...