cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied when pushing out Remote Agent

Level 3
Hi,
I'm having the strangest problem.

when I attempt to push out the remote agent, it is telling me that it can't connect to the workstation and access is denied.

This workstation IS part of the domain, set up EXACTLY the way all the other machines on the domain are set up, and I'm using the same Domain Account with the same password that I've always used.

I have set up and pushed out the agent to hundreds of machines, the exact same way and it has always worked until now.

What else could be causing this other than a permissions issue?

The machine is accessible in all other aspects of remote management such as RDP, connecting to it via mycomputer/manage, network shares are accessible etc.

Really odd!
7 REPLIES 7

Level 3
Now, I am getting a new message:

When trying to push out the agent, it is telling me:

The process Cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

What does this mean?

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hi there,

Whats the Operating System on the workstation you're pushing the agent to. If it is Windows XP then there are some points that needs to be taken care of.

In the meantime try the local installation of remote agent instead of push install:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258982

Level 3
It is XP, and now that I"m looking at it, it is XP with SP2 pre-installed.

This will probably be an ongoing issue..what kind of suggestions did you have?

In the meantime, I will try to install it locally instead of pushing it out.

This is just a workaround though, as this is a remote site and it's not really convenient to do this from the local workstation.

Sharyn

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hi Sharyn,

If it is WIndows XP Home edition, then remote agent can be installed only locally. If it is Windows XP professional edition, then disable force guest as per the following document:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/241419

Additionally I would suggest you to check the following TN on WIndows XP Service Pack 2:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/270139

Level 3
Hi,

Neither of these two articles apply, but I appreciate the help.

This machine is running WinXP Pro, and is part of the domain. The domain admin account and password were being used to push out the agent.

The firewall that SP2 turns on automatically was disabled previously, due to other issues.

I was able to install the agent locally, by copying the RANT32 directory from the server installation of BE. Although this worked, it is not the best of solutions.

There is no valid reason that I can think of why this machine would not accept the remote agent. I have been pushing out RANT to winxp pro machines on the domain, using these exact credentials for a long time now.

Thanks,
Sharyn

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Sharyn,

You may also try following steps :

1. Check whether Host name is resolved by your system.

2. Make an entry for Host Name and IP address into Host file of the system.

3. Check whether port 10000 is being used by another application. Because Backup exec needs port 10000 to communicate with remote system.

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
No reply for 3 days