cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append job: "Physical Volume Library Media not found." (Event ID 34113)

Michael_Damico_
Level 4
Hi. Although I've had problems with append jobs failing in the past, this has been happening consistently during the past week.

Whenever a differential job is set to "Append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available", Backup Exec activates the tape drive briefly, then a Job Failed alert appears saying "The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Media not found." A corresponding error message (Event ID 34113) appears in the Windows Application event log.

Alternatively, when the job is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available", the job skips over the appendable media that's in the drive, ejects the tape, and then prompts for overwritable media to be inserted.

Here are some details of the setup. OS is Windows 2000 Server SP4. Veritas Backup Exec version is 9.0 (revision 4454). The media set the job is being written to is called "Differential" and the append period is set to Infinite. There's plenty of space left on the tape.

Thanks for any help.
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the mounted tape in the same media set as the one call for by the running job?

Michael_Damico_
Level 4
Yep. The media set that it's calling for is Differential, and the mounted tape is Differential 1, one of three tapes within the Differential media set.

Interestingly to note, last night I successfully performed a differential backup to an overwritable tape. Then today I was successful in performing another differential backup as an append to that tape.

It just seems that Backup Exec gets into some state where it wants only to overwrite a tape. Then after it's "appeased", it goes back to working properly for awhile.

Very odd.

Dipti_Chinchole
Level 6
If the Backup job is set to append and " Append to media , terminate if no appendable media available" option is selected and media used for backup is either blank or from scratch then this error will occur. Check the selected option from "Device & Media" tab.

Technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/247775

Hope, this will help.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Let us know if the issue remains unresolved.

Michael_Damico_
Level 4
It seems that it may just be this one tape in my Differential media group that cannot be appended. I was faced with this error again today, again with the Diffential 1 tape. I popped in another tape that had plenty of room to append to, and sure enough it accepted the tape just fine.

Diffential 1 had become overwritable as of this morning, so rather than appending it (which obviously wasn't working), I allowed the differntial backup to overwrite the tape. It worked as it ought to have.

Any reason that an individual tape would be refusing an append operation?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
> It seems that it may just be this one tape in my
> Differential media group that cannot be appended. I
> was faced with this error again today, again with the
> Diffential 1 tape. I popped in another tape that had
> plenty of room to append to, and sure enough it
> accepted the tape just fine.
>
> Diffential 1 had become overwritable as of this
> morning, so rather than appending it (which obviously
> wasn't working), I allowed the differntial backup to
> overwrite the tape. It worked as it ought to have.
>
> Any reason that an individual tape would be refusing
> an append operation?

1) The append period has expired
2) BEWS thinks the tape is full (If BEWS was writing to the volume and reached the end of voluem marker, it will rememeber this until the tape is re-written.

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
As mentioned in above reply I would like to add some points here,

To perform the backup operation, the job's properties must be changed to specify either Overwrite media or Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available. This will allow Backup Exec to overwrite media in the Scratch media set if any media is present in that media set.

Note: Blank media and Scratch media are not considered appendable media. A media must already contain at least one backup set to be considered appendable.

Refer to the following technote to know more detailed information:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
No reply for 3 days