cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied all of a sudden backing up Domain Controller System State

soca-boi
Level 3

Hi Folks

All of a sudden I cannot backup my root domain controller system state data. I am able to backup the filesystem of the server. When the job reaches the system state data I get:

Backup- \\dc.domain.local\System?State
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory \Active Directory\CN=Configuration\CN=Disp...

I get that multiple times for other AD objects. I had this working for years now and nothing has changed as far as I know. The same account is used to backup other domain controllers in other domains.

I found an article that mentions a hotfix for this error but it's for version 12.5. I am running version 13 Rev 2896. I am thinking of installing SP1 but we have 5 media servers and one CA server so careful thought will be needed for that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

soca-boi
Level 3

So I didn't try your suggestion Dev T. Instead I unchecked the volumes and only selected System State Data and it works just fine. I have decided to leave the volumes off. If we need to do a restore we would restore the system state and not anything on the filesystem. Thank you for the replies.

Update:

So I spoke too soon. It still failed. Upon closer inspection it seems that it isn't able to backup certain AD objects. I am able to view them using adsiedit. Permissions are the same as other objects within the same hierarchy.

Resolved:

So I updated the remote agent and used another account for permissions. Gave permissions based on the below article

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH36718

Thanks for the suggestions

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

Is exchange installed on the same server?

Log on to the Domain controller with the Backup Exec Service Account credentials.

Give Full Control to the BESA Account on the folder C:\

Perform the backup job of system state again and the backup job should be successful.

soca-boi
Level 3

Thanks for responding. Exchange is not installed. Will try your suggestion and reply with results.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Does the problem DC has the FSMO roles?

2) If not, is the DC having the FSMO roles unavailable during backups or is having problems?

3) Are your DC's replicating correctly?

soca-boi
Level 3

So I didn't try your suggestion Dev T. Instead I unchecked the volumes and only selected System State Data and it works just fine. I have decided to leave the volumes off. If we need to do a restore we would restore the system state and not anything on the filesystem. Thank you for the replies.

Update:

So I spoke too soon. It still failed. Upon closer inspection it seems that it isn't able to backup certain AD objects. I am able to view them using adsiedit. Permissions are the same as other objects within the same hierarchy.

Resolved:

So I updated the remote agent and used another account for permissions. Gave permissions based on the below article

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH36718

Thanks for the suggestions