cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec Licensing - Confused!

Geoff
Level 2

I bought Dell's BackupExec Server Suite 2010, and have been using it successfully to backup four of my Windows servers onto tape (using the Remote Agents for Windows that were supplied on the CD) for a couple of months.

However, I saw this morning that the Remote Agent for Windows appears only to be running in trial mode and I am now a little confused as to what further licenses I need to get to continue running.

I'd (perhaps naively) made the assumption that because the Remote Agent for Windows was supplied on the CD and worked without any additional licensing, that it was part of the suite, but I think this may not be the case.

The Dell Server Suite came with a paper license for Backup Exec 2010 and an option of either ADBO or Desktop and Laptop option (neither of which appear to cover Remote Agents).

I'm coming to the conclusion that I now need to buy a Remote Agent for Windows for *each* server that I want to back up (i.e. four agents).

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the case?

Thanks

Geoff

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, you will need a remote agent for EACH extra server.
The reason that it did work, it that you will get a trial for 60 days.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

As is a Dell's BackupExec Server Suite 2010 please check the base version (Tools-->About...). If its Backup Exec Quick start Edition, you won't be able to add any licenses further.

http://customercare.symantec.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/95/~/backup-exec-oem-and-quickstart-general-information