Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to a device is not authorized

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Hello forumers

I'd like you to help me with an issue I'm findind in a customer. They have a Windows 2000 SP4 with Backup Exec 10d SP2 and a Tandberg library with two IBM LTO3 drives. The problem they find is that when the System State backup finishes, it reports an error saying "Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec" and a link pointing to

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/257059.htm

That document refers to the SQL Server backup, but after deselecting the SQL Server backup, it still happens, so I deduce it's due to the System State (normal data is copied with no problems).

Any suggestions? Any help would be apreciated.

Regards
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Assuming the KB they give you really is relevant I'd have to guess it's down to a licensing issue rather than something like the system state.

You say the library your client has has two tape drives in it. Have you installed the library expansion option, since BEWS only supports single drive installations out of the box?

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Thanks for your reply Keith

It's not a licensing issue, for sure. LEO is installed as well as SQL server agent. I thoughgt it was a wrong SQL Server licensing but the problem persists if the SQL databases are not selected, and other backups from other servers in the network work fine.

The server uses both drives simultaneously without problems.

When backing up the system state, it seems as if everything is correct. But in the end of the verification it reports that error. I have no idea.

Bin_Fang_2
Level 4
If you are suspecting the issue with System State backup, a couple of the possible reasons might be the drive space is low or the backup account lacks sufficient rights. See the following links for more info:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276901
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274341

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Thanks a lot Bin, I'll have a look at the free space, but I don't think that is the issue because the error message is different.

I don't think it is a rights issue because we are using the domain administrator account, which is both the System and the predefined account...

Regards

Eric_Persson
Level 2
I have a very similar issue. I have BU Exec 10d service pack3 with Exchange, remote servers, and DLO options installed on a Win2k3 server backing up one Exchange 2003 server on a w2k3 server. For days it runs flawlessly, then one or two days in a row it gets "Access not permitted with this version" when backing up Excahgne (data is fine) then the next day it backs up fine again. I called before and was told maybe the Key was corrupted so I deleted the Exchange agent key, rebooted, then reloaded the key and rebooted again. As expected it ran a while OK then got the error, then ran then got the error. It has gotten it again.

I can't go to 11 as it will require me to load Remote and DLO agents on all my systems and I can't undertake that just yet, and there is no way to know of that will actually fix it.

The support case indicates a change from Emal mode to licensed mode, I am running licensed, and as I said, it works for days, then fails, then works again.