Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing BE SQL to view/print historical catalogs/inventories for 2800 tapes

KAC
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Not sure if this can be done, so throwing it out there...   Client has over 2500 media/tapes generated from BE over a given period (unknown).  Is it possible to extract data from the BE SQL instance that shows what data was backed up to what media set on any given day/date?  Ideally a printout of all transactions. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KAC
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks PKH,

So in essence, the client needs to catalog ALL the media to find out what is on each, or if they have a known data file etc. call that in a restore job and take note of all other files/data associated with that media.

It is probably not want they want to hear, but it is what it is and I thank you for your feedback

Regards

Keith

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello KAC,

You can try the Reports feature in Backup Exec and see if that helps. There are many options in Reports so combining the right ones in Custom Report can give you the required output.

Thanks,

-Sush...

KAC
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks Sush,

I just need to dust off my copy of BE2010 to check out the reports and see what they can do.

Keith

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The information that you are looking for is in the catalog and not the BEDB, so there is no report that will be able to tell you this.

Catalog the media.  Start a restore job and expand the selection list.  Locate the data that you want and then see which media contains this data.  There could be multiple instances of the same data.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure why someone gave pkh a negative mark for this post - as he is correct

Catalogs = List of files, e-mails etc with references for where they came from, what media identifier they are located on and where in the media they are located. These are not held inside of SQL hence you cannot get this information in a SQL based report.

Inventory (so content of BEDB SQL db) = list of media, the media identifiers and the overwrite protection (media set) information

Job configuration is also in the BEDB but that will be a list of high level container objects that make up the selection lists and won't give any more granularity and won't help if you have run a job and then deleted the job configuration afterwards.

Job history (but not the job logs) is also in the BEDB and will could give a record of when a job ran  but won't list any individual data objects (but should give the high level selection objects as per the job configuration info.)

KAC
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks PKH,

So in essence, the client needs to catalog ALL the media to find out what is on each, or if they have a known data file etc. call that in a restore job and take note of all other files/data associated with that media.

It is probably not want they want to hear, but it is what it is and I thank you for your feedback

Regards

Keith