cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Directory Backup of DC in Trusting Domain

Rob_R
Level 3
Hello,

When I select System State on a DC in a Trusting AD Domain, I do not see the Active Directory node under Sytem State. The latest BE 12 agent is installed on the DC. I don't remember this being the case in BE 11d.

So, while System State will be backed up, it does not appear that the AD on this DC will be backed up.

Appreciate any help on this.

Thank you,

Rob Ralston
4 REPLIES 4

Lary_OConnor
Level 3
Rob,

I am having the exact same issue.

It worked under 11 D.
Now that I have upgraded to 12, I can no  longer see the active directory component of the system state in the trusting domain even with the active directory agent installed.
Now when I try and backup the system state of the trusting domain I get the error message:

Job ended: Thursday, June 19, 2008 at 5:33:29 AMCompleted status: FailedFinal error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.Final error category: Security ErrorsFor additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928
and
The Active Directory, Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) or Active Directory Lightweigth Directory Services (AD LDS) database was not found.
Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options
Eventhough the user account I am using is a member of the enterprise admins group.
Hopefully somebody has an answer

Rob_R
Level 3
Hi Larry,

I'm not seeing the error you are, but from the log there are only 8 files backed up for System State on the Trusting DC, while there are 10 backed up on the regular (Trusted) DCs, so something is definitely not right.

Also, for reference, I applied the 8 hotfixes released this week, and it makes no difference when looking at the System state node for the Trusting DC.

I don't have a lot of experience using these forums, so I hope that Symantec support actually looks at these threads. I'm a bit surprised they haven't chimed in at all yet.

Rob Ralston

Lary_OConnor
Level 3
Well Rob, I ended up fixing it myself.
The secert was using a domain account that is local to the trusting domain.
I setup a user account from the domain I was having an issue with in backup exec.
I then used that account for authentication in backup exec to the dc in the trusting domain and was able to see AD as part of the system state.
Follow these directions and you should be good.

Rob_R
Level 3
Hi Larry,

Thanks, that was a big help. Since I was not seeing the Access Denied error, I didn't go down that path.

In my situation, rather than create a new account in the trusting Domain, I found that if I added my "special" BkUp Exec account from my Trusted Domain, to the Backup Operators group in the Trusting Domain, that provided the necessary permissions for AD backups.

Rob Ralston