cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding ESXi server to Backup Exec selection

topokin
Level 3

I do not have any vCenter or ESX server, but I need to be able to add my ESXi Server to Backup Exec selection list. Trying to use the ESXi server "root" account, which I normally use in logging unto the system fails.

Since I cannot add any DomainAccount to the ESXi Server and I would not want to install the agent on the VM, what will be my option?

Do I need to install the VMware vSphere Client on the Backup Exec Server?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd use the AVVI agent if you want to back up your VMs in their entirety and do GRT restores from them.

If not, you can get around this by buying the correct number of RAWS agents, and backing them up that way.

It depends on what you want to do.

Thanks!

topokin
Level 3

I actually want to use AVVI and I have installed the appropriate license on the Backup Exec Server, but the problem is I have not been able to add the ESXi Server to the selection list. Trying to add is not accepting the ESXi host credential.

Is there any documentation on how to go about this or anyone could give me guidelines to follow.

Thanks

I have been able to resolve the problem. Either there was something wrong with my installation or there is bug relating to AVVI. What I did was to apply SP1 and now I am able connect with the same credential that has been failing.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I suspect that you need vCenter in order to do this properly, but you can check the pdf below which is the BE best practices for AVVI...

http://webobjects.cdw.com/webobjects/media/pdf/symantec/Backup-Exec-2010-VMware-FAQ.pdf

EDIT: And the link to the VMware site might also assist with the links shown. They're for BE 12.5, but might also help point you in the right direction...

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/292976

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need a licensed copy of ESXi. In other words, you need to have a license key of vSphere entered into your host.

See the attached PDF with FAQ.

topokin
Level 3

Appreciate all for your responses.

As already mentioned, the problem of adding ESXi Server has actually be resolved by applying SP1 and I was able to add the Host without any problem.

Thought ESXi is a free version of VMware hypervisor, but this is licensed and vCenter / vSphere seems not be must a in order to add the host to "Backup Exec 2010 R2". The hostname or IP of the host works too. What I am forseeen will be the problem is backing up the guest, but will start a need thread on that.

Thanks