cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a new user error...

Techneeks
Level 3
After upgrading to Backup Exec 12 I try to add a user and get the following error:

Error V-139-52224-1020

Unable to add user domain\username.  The system returned the following message: 80040e14

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks in advance for any help.
10 REPLIES 10

Johan_Christens
Level 3
I have a similar problem. We have a number of sub-domains and we can only select users form the parent domain that the Backup EXEC is member of. When I'm trying to registera a new user, I can brows and there I see all the expected users, but when I select a user form a child domain I recive an error message stating: "Unable to validate user. Please check user name is valid".

Any ideas?

/Johan Ch

JJchief
Level 3
I'm in the process of rebuilding the backup server and installing Backup Exec 12. I cannot add a new user in BE DLO option. It gives me  the same error: "Unable to validate user. Please check user name is valid." This feature used to work perfectly with DLO10. But when ever since I upgraded to BE 11, I was never able to add a new user. I figured that BE 12 might have resolved this issue but that does not seem to be the case. Please help us fix this issue!

JJchief
Level 3
I am trying to add the users in the same domain as well. So I am assuming that trust relationship between the servers should not really play a role.

Techneeks
Level 3
Just to update everyone as to the fix I used.  I removed the DLO license therefore uninstalling the application, removed the DLO Database files, Re-added the DLO license to reinstall DLO which then created new DLO databases for DLO.  Of course the database was blank and you have to start over creating the environment but I was then able to add new users.  Not sure what the problem was but it also fixed a few other minor issues I had within the DLO database.

JJchief
Level 3
Techneeks,

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that there's a fix!!

How did you remove the DLO database files? Did you just delete them in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data? Is it safe to delete every file with the BE_DLO prefix in that folder?

Please let me know.

Techneeks
Level 3
JJchief,

Yes, I actually just made a backup folder within the data directory and moved all of the DLO database files into the backup folder just to be safe.  Make sure you remove the DLO license (Uninstall) before moving the database files.  Once the files are moved you can then reinstall/re-add DLO license and B/E will build new DLO database files.

Hope this helps...It's a long process to re-setup users and such but luckily I'm using a Group Policy to reinstall the new DLO agent to all the desktops.

Scott

JJchief
Level 3
Scott,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I followed your instructions but got the same error after doing all that! It's very annoying that Symantec Support Team does not have an answer for this.

I am going to try using your technique again, but this time I will restart the server after the uninstallation of DLO option. May be that will help!

Regards,
George.

JJchief
Level 3
I had to contact Symantec Support and after 3 days of calls and emails, they helped me resolve the issue! The support rep. first reviewed all the DLO servies running on the server and determined that everything was started. Then we went to the Windows registry:

1) Start > Run > regedit
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Symantec > DLO > AdminConsole > User Interface
3) A new DwORD Key is added: New > DWORD Value
3) Name: SelectUserGroupValidate
4) Value: 0

I had to restart the server and I was able to add an user without any issues after that!

Techneeks
Level 3
JJChief,

That's unbelievable that it was one little switch in the registry.  Of course I'm sure we all should have known what the fix would have been but thanks for being persistant and finding an answer...This board is definitely a good resource to fix problems.  I do however like the software and all the features...

Good luck,

Scott

Johan_Christens
Level 3
I can also confim that this solved the problem with being unable to add users in the DLO Console. All thought a new problem arrised, because users in a child domain where unabel to access the media server. I thought that this might have been due to some setting that I had done, so I uninstalled the DLO and tryed to re-install it. BIG mistake since I'm not unable to install the DLO again on the server.

But I will create a new thread for this problem.

/Johan Ch