cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new tape

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

We have an tape library, we using it with backup exec 2010 R2, we did create some partitions and media devices for our backup jobs, now one of our partition that has 2 tapes is alrady vol and we want to add one of the empty tapes to this existing partition. any idea how to do this?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Recreate partition.

Shahin123
Level 6

Thanks for the replay,

our library has 16 Tape and we did creatre 5 partitions, we want add tapes to the 3rd partition, do you mean we have to remove the 3rd partition and then create a new one? and then add the exsiting tape (for 3rd partition) and new tapes to the new partition?

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried using the Move up option in the partition window?

If you select partition and click on move up, one slot will be added to the selected partition and one slot from the preceeding partition will be removed.

For example you want to add one slot to Partition 3, select that and click on Move up. One slot from Partition 2 will be added to Partition 3.

Regards....

Shahin123
Level 6

Thanks for your replay,

we have 3 partitions

partion1 has tapes 1 and 2

partion2 has tape 3

partion 3 has tape 4 and 5 and 6

tape 7 to 16 is free

we want to add 2 tapes from our non used tapes (7 to 16) to partion 2, how can we do this without moveing the tapes of partion 3 to partition 2?

Thanks

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I don't think you can.

partitions can only be created with tapes that follow next to them.

You will have to move tapes 4,5 and 6 to the end (14, 15 and 16).

Shahin123
Level 6

'Thanks for your replay,

what do you mean by moving the 4,5 and 6 to the end? we want to add 2 of the blank tapes (7 to 16) to the partition 2.

moving the tapes of this partition how can help us?

Thanks

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I mean, get the tapes out the library, and put them in other slots so you can configure the library partitions as you like them.

Shahin123
Level 6

Thanks for your repaly,

So if I understood you correctly, we have to move the tapes from that partition to some other slots and then remove that partition and again create a new partition!  and add the removed tapes and new tapes to this new partition am I right?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Shahin,

Moving tapes around physically kind of defeats the object of having partitions...why do that when you can either do what Kiran Bandi stated which was to use the Up/Down arrows to grow/shrink the partitions; or even use Amol's option of recreating the jobs?

that way at least BE keeps track of what's going on...

Thanks!

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi Craige,

Thanks as always for your repaly,

Kiran Bandi said "For example you want to add one slot to Partition 3, select that and click on Move up. One slot from Partition 2 will be added to Partition 3."

This means I have to remove one of the tapes of partition 2 (that has already data on it) and  added the same tape to the partition 3, but this way I lose one of the tapes (and data on it) of the partition 2!!

Amol's says: "recreate the partition" to add a tape to i.e. partition 2 should we remove the partition 2 and recreate it with the old tape plus the blank tape from other slots?

Thanks

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The reason why I suggested to move the physical tapes out the library to another slot is to keep the tapes in the same current partition (partition3). There can be a reason for it to keep it in the same partition.

Shahin123
Level 6

What we want to do is,  making the partition 3 larger, we want to add 2 extra tapes there,  partition 3 has currently 2 taps and we want to add 2 more tapes. so the partition 3 would have 4 tapes. I don't undersand moving the tapes out of partition 3 how could help us!!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

whatever, first you spoke about increasing partion 2.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Shahin, moving tapes either between slots, or partitions doesn't destroy data on the tapes, nor does recreating/trashing the partitions.

All you need to do then is click the Up/Down arrow to increase/decrease the slot count...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I did not say that the data will be destroyed, but the tapes will become members of another library partition, and you must decide for yourself if you want that. If not, move the tapes.