cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding old BKF files to Catalog and Restoring

NovaSom
Level 3

I need some help adding and restoring old BKF files that are on an external drive to Backup Exec 12.5.

The external drive shows backup files from 6/17/13 - 6/21/13.

I need to restore a file from this time period but...

A) When I go to Devices - Removable Backup-to-Disk Folder 1

It does not show the files that are on the drive. At first (just minutes ago) it was showing FLDR000011 with BKF files that were created this past week. Im guessing when you switch the backup drive, it doesnt refresh automatically. It must take some time and/or opening and closing the program a few times before it recognizes the new files. 

HOWEVER, now, there are NO files listed. This drive has 2 folders on it... B2D and B2D-2

Not sure why two folders were created but the B2D-2 folder has the files from the time period I need.

B) How do I get these files from the External Drive to show up under All Devices - Removable Backup to Disk Folder 1?

From there I could try to run an Inventory and Catalog to see if the files will then be listed in my Restore section by RESOURCE.

C) I would like to restore by Resource. Its easy to navigate through the shared drive and find the file you need.

For files that are on the external drive, should I be searching through View By Media section or is View By Resource ok to do?

I get stumped with all the B2D file names (B2D002154, B2D002149 etc)... It doesnt show a date or what Server was restored unless you click on it and it shows in the window to the right.

I need to restore a file that Ive been searching for and finally found the BKF files to do so. I need so help please trying to add these BKF's to Backup Exec, Make them show in the View By Resource Catalog and then Restore. 

If someone has some in depth advice or suggestions, please get back to me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks much.

If you need anymore details, feel free to let me know. Thanks again!

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

First make sure you dont have any jobs running and then see if restarting the Backup Exec services help.

lmosla
Level 6

I also strongly reccomend upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 R3.  This version has resolved many of the earlier versions device issues and has simplified B2D creation, backups and restores.

Downloads and updates:http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66724

You can perform direct upgrade to BE201OR3 from your existing version BE12.5 

Stop all of the Backup Exec services, including the SQL(BKUPEXEC) service.  
Copy the catalogs and data folders from the <volume>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec directory to an alternate, safe location

Once done please upgrade to Sp2 and all updates for BE201OR3 using live update and then push install remote agent on your remote servers.

You can perform direct upgrade to BE201OR3 from your existing version BE12.5 

Hope this helps 

NovaSom
Level 3

Thank you for the advice to upgrade. I am in the process of getting a quote for 2012 through CDW.

Yes, I am having no luck with restoring old files. I wish you could pop the drive in and have it automatically

detect the BKF files and what you can restore from them. This is way too much... 

Currently, I moved all the 6/17 files in folder B2D-2 to folder B2D. I believe they were not recognized

due to the folder name?... Anyway, I ran inventory on it and it found the dates I need to restore from.

Now I am running a Catalog on all the BKF's in that date range. The first Catalog file is still running and is taking over an hour... I have 78 BKF's to go!!!! WTF! 

Heres the question 2...

Whats the proper way to run Catalog file of BKF? What I did was highlighted all the ones I need and right click Catalog. I notice you have to click through each popup Catalog window (click ok to catalog).

SHould I be doing one at a time? Is there a way to make it run quicker? Whats the average time it takes to catalog? Ive done one file before in 2 minutes, so I dont understand why this is takinig so long...

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!