cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Inventory 23 out of 28 brand new LTO-2 Tapes are labeled as <Bad Media>

burroughs1
Level 3

I'm using BackUp Exec 10d (on Windows Server 2003) and swapped out 28 LTO-2 tapes with a brand new set of LTO-2 tapes. After I ran an inventory, BackUp Exec returned <Bad Media> for 23 out of 28 tapes. The tapes are managed by the Overland Neo 2000 robotic library. Just before I swapped the 28 tapes, I verified that I could restore data from the older tapes.  Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your time,
Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I know that BackupExec is supposed to do it automagically, but have you tried labelling these tapes, and then doing the Inventory?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you do an erase of the new tapes?

burroughs1
Level 3

After the inventory, I only have the option of "Quick Erase" or "Full Erase" (e.g. right-clicking on Slot X uder Devices tab) on the 5 LTO tapes that have <Blank Media> under the Media Label column. Is there some way outside of Backup Exec that I can verify that a tape is actually bad? Please note that I'm using a Neo 2000 robotic tape library. The robotic library was working correctly minutes before I replaced the old tapes with the new ones (I verified that I could restore a number of files and folders). I am having trouble believing that 23 out of 28 new LTO tapes have issues.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You can check the tape under your media set and see what sort of errors you are getting. Anything excessive (couple of 100 write errors I would say) would be enough for me to mark the tape as bad.

burroughs1
Level 3
None of the 28 tapes are listed under any Media Set (nothing listed under All Media or under Online/Offline Media).

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I know that BackupExec is supposed to do it automagically, but have you tried labelling these tapes, and then doing the Inventory?

burroughs1
Level 3
Thanks for everyones feedback, unfortunately I still cannot move on. After a tape gets marked as <Bad Media>, the "Label Media" options is greyed out; when I right-click the mouse on a <Bad Media> tape the only options I have are: Inventory, Scan, Catalog, Import, Export and Properties. Any other ideas? I also reinstalled the software but still having the same problems.

burroughs1
Level 3

Ken's suggestion to label the tapes allowed me to finally inventory the tapes. In order to remove the <Bad Media> label after the initial inventory, I removed all the tapes from the robotic library. After removing the tapes, I ran another inventory that changed <Bad Media> to empty. Then I repopulated the robotic library. After this step I was able to label the media (which also erases the tapes).

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

I think that Ken should be the 1 to get the solution. It was his suggestion that got things working.

Cheers!

burroughs1
Level 3
Updated to reflect proper resolution to problem.