Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agents not getting detected

zak2011
Level 6

I have been encountering this issue

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

The errors state the following:

Backup- TERMxxxx
Remote Agent not detected on TERMxxxx.
Unable to attach to \\TERMxxxx\C:.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to...

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target comput...

Unable to attach to \\TERMxxxx\System?State.

V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to...

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target comput...

Backup- TERMxxxx
Remote Agent not detected on TERMxxxx.

Unable to attach to \\TERMxxxx\C:.

I have tried uninstalling the agents from all the above machines and reinstalling them. However the backup job fails. This is a backup job that is running.'

Any suggestions are welcome!

37 REPLIES 37

zak2011
Level 6

yes, i beleive the RAWS agent isnt publishing to different media servers. we have uninstalled all the agents on the terminal servers and published them again from the current media server.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is your media server fully patched (I see SP2 is out!) and have you push-installed these updates out to your remote servers?

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks for the update. Is it mandatory to install sp2 on the media server for this issue.

zak2011
Level 6

It shows up in the User defined selections. It has not been added to the Favourite resources though.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Try to add under fav resources.. if it will give msg "added successfully" but  would never show up,

If you also face the same behaviour then you need to check the link for soln  I gave above ..as other

people also had the same issue.

CraigV

SP2 contains SP1 and every subsequent patch released thereafter, and maybe some new patches. It is always recommended that you push-install this out to remote servers once you have updated the media server.

zak2011
Level 6

We have tried almost all the steps mentioned in the link. Still it doesnt succeed. I am not sure why its not working.

zak2011
Level 6

Sorry Craig..i lost track of the conversation. I havent updated the media server yet to SP2. Since the trust establishment isnt working, i will udate the media server to sp2 and push install the agents to the systems not getting backed up. Will update you after this!

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Are you able to add machine under windows system -fav resoures ..or not?

zak2011
Level 6

It says successfully added, but doesnt show up. After that we tried reestablishing the trusts as mentioned in your link  and still nothing happens.

CraigV

...hit the support flag for you on this.

If you have support with Symantec, I'd recommend getting hold of them and logging a call. If you get a solution, post back here with an update and you can then close it off.

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

The update keeps failing. Not sure why cant update to SP2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

From the media server open a command prompt and type in TELNET servername 10000

If you don't have telnet installed, you may need to install it before running the command

If the command is successful you will see a group of ASCII characters shows up, this means the media server can communicate with the server you are attempting to backup.

You will need to run the command from both the media server and the remote guest.

If that command is successful and you are not able to backup the machine or see it in favorites, most times there is a firewall blocking additional ports that are needed for backup and advertisements.

Here is the document that shows the ports needed.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49563

The main ports are 6101 and 10000

Can you take a screenshot of how the server currently shows up in the selection list (with it expanded) and send it to me in a private message?

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Ben,

I tried telneting to the remote servers from the media server, however i get the message 'could not open connection to the port ' connection failed.

CraigV

...you can then make sure that the port isn't in use by another application or blocked by an AV or firewall...

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

From the guest can you run netstat -a (from a command prompt).  You should see a listing for 0.0.0.0:10000 with a state of listening.  Make sure the remote agent is running when you run the command, then stop the remote agent service and run the command again, the listing above should be gone this time around.

This will tell us that the remote agent is listening on the correct port and another application hasn't grabbed it.  If this is the case, there is most likely a firewall blocking the port.  Make sure to check the local firewall firewall settings on the guest, if it's windows 2008 (R2) go into the firewall settings and turn it off (for a test) and create a new job for the server and see if the backup is successful.

zak2011
Level 6

It turns out that local firewall has been enabled on the the terminals that are not getting backed up. Unfortunately we have running into a bit of some complexity of disabling the firewall settings due to faulty GPOs. So, once the firewall settings have been disabled and the backup jobs run, i will be updating the post. Thankyou once again Ben  for valuable inputs:-)

zak2011
Level 6

Seems like the firewall is enabled and having a hard time getting it disabled due faulty GPOs. Will update the post once i get over the local firewall issue.

Thanks Craig!