cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An internal error (-536837662) occurred in object 11 - STILL A PROBLEM

zafer_saltik
Level 3
Hi all,

i've seen several previous posts, but not an exact solution for this issue. i've tried with several O/S combinations. on some win2000 or 2003 servers. The NT event log says:

The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-536837662) occurred in object 11.

all infresh installations.

What i've done:

Http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254014.htm
Http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275032.htm
Http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263295.htm
Http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269175.htm
rebuilt the DB

i also checked the system with mdac checker: found

ODBCBCP.dll, SQLSRV32.dll and msxml3.dll as mismatches

i've reinstalled mdac 2.8 RTM (the furthest you cab go for w2000) and used a third party MDAC repair tool to fix possible registration faults.

When i downgraded to BE 9.1 it worked fine. i strongly doubt that BE 10 has a problem with some MDAC versions.

since reinstalling the o/s is not issue in many cases, MDAC updates really suck on w2000 platforms and older BE versions working this issue is a problem with BE10 and must be solved!

Regards

Zafer
9 REPLIES 9

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As Backup Exec server service cannot star we suggest you follow this steps:

In the installation procedure of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 , you can add check mark to "case-sensitive" option to create instances .
If the option is checked and the instance is selected for BEWS default instance,
some of BEWS services will not wake up after completing BEWS installation by following
errors in event logs.

The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-536837662)
occurred in object 11.
( Event ID:57802 in Application Event log )

The Backup Exec Job Engine service depends on the Backup Exec Server service
which failed to start because of the following error: %%0
( Event ID:7001 in System event log )

To avoid this problem , create SQL Server 2000 instance without "case-sensitive" option .

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

zafer_saltik
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, do you have any idea if MSDE includes case sensitivity switches when installing?

regards

zafer_saltik
Level 3
let me answer my own question: No! there are no options or anyway to install MSDE case sensitive or not. Check out:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/distsql/distsql_84xl.asp

so does this mean that BE 10 that should have been working with MSDE, doesn't work with MSDE because of some functionality that MSDE should but doesn't have?

Are you suggesting that we install a normal version of MSSQL give the thing a try? if so who'll pay for extra license costs?

also if %60 of all clients i've installed BE 10 has the same issue shouldn't somebody consider this as a bug or at least suggest some logical response?

i've been suggesting, supporting, advicing the customers to use BE for years now and this is silliest situation i've been so far. Did veritas forget the meaning of BETA TESTING, or is it the marketing only approach telling us to offer some new backup software to our customers?

please care and answer my questions properly or don't if you've nothing to offer.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Did you get any errors during installation?
- Did the repair database complete without any errors?

Please try to perform a repair install and verify the results.

Title:
Repairing Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

zafer_saltik
Level 3
There were no errors during the installation, only this error in the event log. since i couldn't start the services i remember repair failing with an error saying it cannot repair. i tried the repairing procedure in the document you sent by the way.

The installation seems ok. BE 9.1 works with the same system properly. When be 10.0 installed the error is as in the subject line. i've got this error 6 out of 10 customers i've installed and on w2000, w2003 machines. no common profile...

This is an issue with BE10 and mdac i'm pretty sure. if you check out the forum there are several posts without any solutions. so the failure poing may be someting other than me.

you know, i'm really tired of you guys suggesting repairing an empty database. the reality is we cannot upgrade or fresh install Be 10 to customers we've sold.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Due to the complexity of your issue, resolution will require the personal attention of a VERITAS representative.
Please contact us through your local support number.You can see a list of support numbers at our support web site:

http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm

Please note that you may be charged for this service.

For the latest details on pricing, please visit http://support.veritas.com/srv_portfolio/srvc_pricing_matrix.htm

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Wong_Kang_Hong
Not applicable
Hi, What is the solution to fix this issue?

Erol_Uyar
Not applicable
Hello,

I have tried the trial version 10d of backupexec on two different W2K servers and on both I have exactly the same problem. I realize that the internet is full of such a problem posted by hundreds of people.

So now, could you tell me just one good reason to buy this software?

Erol Uyar

David_ORTOVENT
Not applicable
Hi,

I have the same pb and I don't find how to solve it.

Is there now a solution ?

Thanks