cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Failure Connecting to Remote Agent

mac_collins
Level 3
Background:
We have a 2000 Server (SP4), and we tried to restore the system state in AD restore mode. However, the restore op failed repeatedly with "could not connect to drives" messages. After several attempts of changing service logon credentials and so forth, we gave up and rebooted into normal mode.

Of course, we had to reset the be service logon credentials back to the original settings (Domain Administrator account). Now we receive "cannot connect to remote agent" errors on backup jobs. Even with the BE service logon credentials setup correctly and the group policy setup to allow Backup Operators full control of the server, I continue to receive the error. I get no errors starting any of the BE services. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

as you are getting an error as "Cannot connect to the remote agent" for the backup jobs, verify if teh Backup Exec for remote agent service is running under local system account on Backupexec serveras well as on the remote server.

Also verify if you can ping the remote server using IP address and machine name form BE server and vice versa.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

mac_collins
Level 3
The Backup Exec Installation is a local installation on that server, and yes all the backup exec services including remote agent are running, and I have tried both the administrator account and the built-in backup admin account as well. Both have given me this same error. Thanks for your help though.

More info: This Server is the DC. I can ping the username from the server, and DNS is working properly. Hope this helps

mac_collins
Level 3
Apparently more info is needed, so here goes:

I decided to create a 2 new jobs. One simply backs up the data partition of the server and only appends to the media.

The other is essentially an entire backup of the system that is set to overwrite the tape just like the original that gave the above error.

The data partition backup was successful. The full system backup with overwrite failed with the same error as above. PLEASE HELP!!! Hope this info gives a better assessment of the problem.

mac_collins
Level 3
Is there not anyone who has seen this? Anyway...I added the system state and the c: to the backup selection list, and set the backup to overwrite the tape. However, I submitted the job to run immediately instead of on a schedule (as I did before), and the backup was again successful. So, it appears to be something with the scheduler that is causing the authentication problem. Hopefully this info will help.

MAC

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Mac,
- Can you tell us the EXACT error message then? Including the error code?
- Also can you check if there are any events logged in in the Windows event logs?
- Can you also tell us how are you configuring your scheduled Jobs?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.