cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d/Adaptec 29160LP/Quantum PX502 Library not seen

ajmac
Level 2

Hello, all.

We have the setup shown above - Backup Exec 10d on a Compaq ML370G4 server with a Quantum PX502 (inc.SDLT600 drive) library running on Windows Server 2003.  The server and the O/S (no "issues" in Device Manager) see both the library and the drive, Backup Exec 10d (needed as we're still running Exchange 5.5) sees no library.  I see Document ID 280737 states that there is an issue and that they are "working with Adaptec" to resolve it but the document hasn't been updated in 2 years.  I have downloaded and installed the latest Adaptec drivers for the card but this hasn't helped. 

I see some advice for similar issues that may be worth trying (disabling RSM, for example) but as the server is several miles away and the tape library is currently connected to another server (we are in the process of de-commisioning and replacing an old server but need the replacement in a position to take over backup responsibilities) this kinda limits me to out-of-hours testing.  Oh, I should definitely mention that the pre-install checkup states that the library is not supported which seems strange (given doc. 280737 for instance and the fact that it's currently working on the old server which is the same spec. excepting it's an 29160 card (not LP) and the O/S is Windows Server 2000). 

So, can someone advise me if this is just a matter of finding the correct driver combination or disabling RSM or updating firmware or service-packing Backup Exec or should I just replace the SCSI card (and if so, any recommendations?)?

Sorry, hope this is not incomprehensible!  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ajmac
Level 2

Sorry, my fault!  Got so bogged down in fixing Device Manager code 10 errors,  with the 2 year old support document and updating firmware and SCSI drivers that I failed to download and install the Symantec device driver files.  Did this last night and BE now sees my PX502.  Will run some tests today but fingers crossed.  Thanks to any/all who gave my query some consideration.

Cheers.

andy

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ajmac
Level 2

Sorry, my fault!  Got so bogged down in fixing Device Manager code 10 errors,  with the 2 year old support document and updating firmware and SCSI drivers that I failed to download and install the Symantec device driver files.  Did this last night and BE now sees my PX502.  Will run some tests today but fingers crossed.  Thanks to any/all who gave my query some consideration.

Cheers.

andy