cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11d services fail to start after updates, Msft patches - SBS 2003

Jay_Jann
Level 3
We have SBS Premium 2003, and recently (this week) updated Backup Exec 11d to using Live Update.

Seemed fine, then ran a few Msft patches including the SQL 2005 Express
patch (BE installed SQL 2005 Express)- now getting frequent BE service
startup failure so BE fails to launch when server rebooted.

Msgs on boot include:

Event ID 7009 ,  Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Backup Exec
Device & Media Service service to connect.
followed by

Event ID 7000 , The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service failed to
start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.

etc.

p.s. is there a way to diagnose why the service startup is failing?

Message Edited by Jay Jann on 09-01-2007 08:45 AM
3 REPLIES 3

ariesbabu
Level 4

Hello

The BE Device and Media management service is dependent on the third party components to be functioning properly.

Make sure DOT NET and MDAC components are installed properly. Make sure that there are no mismatched dlls with MDAC.

Also try creating a new catalogs folder. Probably one the MS updates that you did might have replaced old dll(s) with new ones and this might have caused a component mismatches.

This is a generic event log error that you have posted.

Use MDAC component checker utility to confirm that that there are no mismatches. If so it is advisable to update MDAC or replace mismatched dll(s)

Let me know how it goes.

In the worst case scenario you could try new databases using BEUTILITY and make sure it is not a database issues.

To me it looks like MDAC or Dot NET issue. Sometimes a mere repair install of the Dot NET component will start the service.

Cheers.

Jay_Jann
Level 3
Hi - thanks for reply - I'll check out

Actually I think there might have been a .net patch downloaded as well, maybe that was the problem.

Odd that the service startup failure is intermittent - suggests maybe some interdependency failure i.e. X is meant to start before Y but is delayed??

ariesbabu
Level 4
Ok please check.

The Device and Media management service si the first to start and is dependent on the Job Engine and BE Server service.

Let me know how it goes.