cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 - SBS 2008 Premium

Alex_Hill1
Level 3

Downloaded the Trial for 12.5 and installing on SBS 2008 Premium RTM

Installed without a Key for 60-Day trial.  Selected Exchange component.

Installs all ok, and tape drive is detected.

But when coming to setup a Backup Job, no resources are available to Backup.  No local drives, exchange etc.

All services started, no errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Davide_Russo
Level 4
I have resolved the issue: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/292795.htm

Dave

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The account that was used to install Backup Exec 12.5, was it a Domain Admin?

Alex_Hill1
Level 3

Yes.  It is the Admin account that I created during the SBS 2008 install.

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Looking through the SCL for Backup Exec 12.5. Windows 2008 Small Business server is not a supported operating system for a Media Server.  Below is a link to the SCL for Backup Exec 12.5.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/307063

Alex_Hill1
Level 3

I cannot believe you can't install the product on SBS 2008.

Windows 2008 Standard is on the list, and SBS 2008 uses a 2008 Standard install.

Also the trial details for Backupexec 12.5 for SBS 2008 doesn't mention anything.  Why would you buy it if you needed another box to run the media server on!

Is it because i'm using the Trial and not a SBS install key?  Maybe not correctly detecting install OS?

Alex_Hill1
Level 3

Just tried a BE 12 Install with latest service pack.

I know it officially doesn't suppport SBS 2008, but it does Windows Server 2008.

It installs all ok, but same problem.  Resources blank, and an error Cannot connect to server, Press <F5> to refresh.

I have also checked the Windows Firewall settings and all the BE services are allowed.

Ideas?

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Verify that all of your services are running as a Domain Admin except for the remote agent which should be local system.  Also to correct my previous post, Windows 2008 SBS will be supported when it is released on November 12th 2008.  Beta versions are not supported at this time with Backup Exec 12.5

http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/default.aspx

Alex_Hill1
Level 3

The SBS software is RTM.  Not Beta.

So is there a problem with 12.5 and not supporting SBS 2008, all the documents say it's supported!

Nobody else got a problem?

M_P_2
Level 2

Yes,

We are unable to view resources, because Backup Exec failes to connect to the server.

We have configured SBS2008 to use the Administrator account (instead of the SBS2008 admin account), configured all Services to use the Administrator account, changed all credentials in the BEUtility to use the administrator account, disabled the Windows firewall, but nothing works.

Telnet to port 10000 works, so It's not a firewall issue.

Every attempt with the Administrator account failed, so we used "Step 2" in one of the support documents: create a new account and make it member of ONLY Domain Admins and Administrators, where Domain Admins is Primary. We named this user Backupexec, changed all Services credentials to this user and used BEUtility to change en check the credentials again. Changed the default logon account in Backup Exec to the Backupexec user, rebooted the SBS2008 server... but still no luck.

We have a number of 2008 Servers running as member servers without any problems (just install and runs like a charm), but we can't get SBS2008 to work... simply unable to connect and view resources.

Of cource, we are testing with SBS2008 RTM, which is available for Microsoft Partners since September 2008.

Rod_B
Level 2

We are also experiencing the same issue exactly as descibed but on multiple Windows 2008 standard servers. We rolled out 4 new windows 2008 std servers, 3 of which are domain controllers. Backup exec version 12 worked fine on the non DC , but on all three DC's, backup exec cannot see resources.

I can confirm the users has the appropriate rights as described in the numerous Symantic support documents. I have upgraded one of the Dc's to v12.5, but it still cannot see resources.

Same issue on a Windows 2008 standard install!

All four servers do have SQL 2005 installed prior to installing backup exec.

If anyone can shed some light on what we ar missing, it would be most appreciated.

many thanks.

Rod_B
Level 2

I am not sure whether this helps with SBS2008, but it did work for windows 2003 standard. Worth a try at least....

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=installations&thread.id=1429

Davide_Russo
Level 4
I have the same problem on a SBS2008 with Backup Exec 12.5 for SBS (64 Bit).

when i configure a Backup Job, no resources are available to Backup. No local drives, exchange etc

Someone any solution to this problem?

Dave

Davide_Russo
Level 4
I have resolved the issue: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/292795.htm

Dave