cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5, SP3 - Exchange Recovery Point Fails

Sully
Level 3

Current Setup:  BE 12.5, SP3, hotfixes: 334837, 327039, 337202, 336087. Windows Server 2003.

Exchange full backup works fine, no errors.

When the CPS tries to run I get the following error:

Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000fea9 - The Backup Exec data store encountered a problem during the operation. See the job log for details. Final error category: For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65193

I've rebooted both the backup and exchange servers and retried the job several times. I've reinstealled the CPS agent and BE agent on the exchange server. None of this works.

Specifically, in the backup set detail information is the following:

Log Files Warning: Unable to truncate the transaction logs for storage group Main. The Continuous Protection Job that was backing up the storage group failed to replicate the logs in a timely manner. This occurs if the backup must follow a junction point to replicate the logs for this storage group. For a Continuous Protection Job, the transaction logs must be on a volume that has a drive letter.

The log files are on a volume that has a drive letter, "E" specifically.

It's always a "new problem" with Backup Exec.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sully
Level 3
Okay, I got it figured out. Here is what I had to do to get the CPS Exchange backups working again after upgrading from BE 12 to 12.5.

1) Delete backup-to-disk folder that Exchange CPS backup job goes to along with v12 CPS backups
2) Delete Exchange job
    *  In my case I actually deleted the partition that the backup-to-disk folder was on as I couldn't get back 25GB of space that was "missing" even after removing all the folders and
        defraging.
3) Reboot BE server
    * Obviously I had to recreate the partition after the reboot. "Missing" space now returned.
4) Recreate backup-to-disk folder
5) Recreat Exchange job
6) Wait for Exchange job to run (Sundays for me)

Eight hours after that the CPS job ran without error. I'd assume there was a disconnect with what the v12 transaction logs that were pulled over and the v12.5 transaction logs. Starting from scratch seemed to work in my case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

This Symantec KB will be very helpful:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/287706
How to configure Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS) and Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server (CPS) for a Continuous Exchange Backup job.

Sully
Level 3
Hi Dev,

Thanks for the article. However, I read it prior to posting my question. My CPS backups worked "most" of the time prior to upgrading to 12.5. I never had an error with the truncation of the logs prior to the upgrade. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Sully
Level 3
Also, this KB article seems to apply exactly to the problem.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285852.htm

However, it is in reference to rev 11D....seems that the same problem is here in 12.5?

Sully
Level 3
Okay, I got it figured out. Here is what I had to do to get the CPS Exchange backups working again after upgrading from BE 12 to 12.5.

1) Delete backup-to-disk folder that Exchange CPS backup job goes to along with v12 CPS backups
2) Delete Exchange job
    *  In my case I actually deleted the partition that the backup-to-disk folder was on as I couldn't get back 25GB of space that was "missing" even after removing all the folders and
        defraging.
3) Reboot BE server
    * Obviously I had to recreate the partition after the reboot. "Missing" space now returned.
4) Recreate backup-to-disk folder
5) Recreat Exchange job
6) Wait for Exchange job to run (Sundays for me)

Eight hours after that the CPS job ran without error. I'd assume there was a disconnect with what the v12 transaction logs that were pulled over and the v12.5 transaction logs. Starting from scratch seemed to work in my case.