cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 backup to VM?

tyj
Level 3
I was under the impression that BE 12.5 could backup a system to a VM which can then be deployed on a VMware server.  Is this correct?   And if so how would I go about do thing this?  I cannot find anything on the documentation about this or in the job setup on BE.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I would suggest looking at Backup Exec System Recovery, it is designed to do operations like this.  With BESR you can backup the physical machine and then covert/restore the image to a virtual machine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
What you mean is you want to backup the image og your vmware agent?

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
if so ther are lots of requirements like vcb that can be co exist also on the media sever.

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Prerequisite for VM backup

VMware Virtual Center (separate server) – An optional component of VMware software solution, but it is required by the Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure for Backup Exec 12.5. Often it is installed on a Windows Server to improve the management of ESX server.

VMware Consolidated Backup proxy server (media server) and VMware Consolidated Backup Framework 1.1 (media server) – This component is required by Backup Exec for performing backups. This is a VMware component that has the ability to export data from VMware machines to a local folder. A temporary storage on the VCB proxy server would be required where the Virtual Machine data can be temporarily exported and then backup can be performed by Backup Exec. This is the component responsible for all backups.

VMware Converter 3.02 (media server) –This component is required for all restore jobs to run. The server should be able to communicate with the VirtualCenter or the ESX server. It can reside either on the Backup Exec media server or on a separate computer. A temporary staging server can either be a Backup Exec server or a separate server with enough space to temporarily store data being restored. When a restore job is submitted, the data first reaches the temporary staging server and then is written to the ESX server. RAWS must be installed on the temporary storage server, if a remote storage is to be used.

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hope everything is clear thanks

tyj
Level 3
Are those the requirements for backing up VMs on a VM server?  IF so that will also help (we are looking to do this soon) But what I am looking for is whether or not BE 12.5 has the ability to backup a physical system and then restore it to a VM that we can then deploy to a VM server.  We have a system that we cannot lose and would take to long to rebuild.  We want to move it to a VM and then reimage the original system for use by a new employee

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I would suggest looking at Backup Exec System Recovery, it is designed to do operations like this.  With BESR you can backup the physical machine and then covert/restore the image to a virtual machine.