cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 server service hangs on status starting

insureme
Not applicable
YEsturday morning I had a backup job fail with the message unexpected end of backup set.  after a search of the logs i found this in there. 

<i>A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device "B2D-Primary".</i>

after that the backup to tape job would not run, it kept kicking out the tape saying that the media was not overwriteable, and was non-appendable since it was full.  i've got the job setup to append if possible, and overwrite if necessary though so i didn't think this looked right.  I checked for updates through live update, and found patch 324011 and was applying it.  then i found in the logs after a reboot that the patch had failed to install.  at this point i was unable to get into backup exec as the services would not start correctly.  Specifically the backup exec server service would start, and then consume all available RAM on the machine until the process was killed, but the service would never actually enter the running state.  I tried to manually download the patch and install it and although the isntall was successful the problem is still there.  Anyone have any idea what would cause this, and more importantly how to fix it?

I found a few posts that it hought might be related such as restarting the RPC service, but for some reason i'm unable to restart my RPC service, but it is in the running state.  if it matters i'm running an HP Proliant DL160 storage server.

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Are all the backup exec services runnign at the moment ?
IS the issue with the backup exec server service ?

KJavheri
Level 4
Employee
Resolution scenario 1:

Probably the Job which was kicking must be helding the service to start. Try the following debug method to narrow it down.

-- Open Command prompt, from there go the BE installation directory :

X:\Program files\symantec\backup Exec\    -----> Run this command :

beserver -console

Hit enter and then after the cmd prompt stops producing the messages, it to a notepad. After that is done check if you anything in the following error format :
" 6008] 12/31/08 16:44:54 17 Job Dispatcher: RecoverActiveTask() job name= XYZ NAME, JobState=16 "

In the above string the Job name will be the name of the job that is preventing the server service to start.
you need then edit SQL database to delete the Job in order to Start the Service and get BE working.

Resolution Scenario 2:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/320338

If both these solution's dont apply then paste the output of the beserver console on the forum to review.

Not applicable
i would suggest you to use the beutility ( Default location : C:program files\symantec\backup Exec| beutiltiy.exe )

open the beutility  on right hand side u would see ur servername right click on it and select option recover database

after that select the option drop existing and reload from backup and click on Ok ) that should go ahead and reload ur database from the backup and will restart the services, this should resolve the issue,

Let me know if this resolves the issue

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
Try installaing latest Service pack, and also please verify your service account with respect to the services.
try live update

Not applicable
is this issue resolved by the resolution provided please let us know