cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12 using Backup-to-Disk Media won't overwrite.

Sirius_Systems
Level 3

This is probably a REAL simple one, and will expose my inexperience with Symantec's BE. 

In a Small Office setup I have 2 1TB hard drives rotating on a weekly basis.  Whenever I rotate the HD's I get  the Alert "Please insert overwritable media into the Backup-to-Disk Device".  When I click YES I notice it rescans the B2D folder and all the 4GB media (files), but then it gets to the end and the same alert appears.  There is Overwritable Media (files) there, but it won't overwrite.  I even tried to erase the overwritable, but I got an error for ever file saying the media was write protected.  I can't get my backup jobs to run.

I've attached an image of my Removable Disk Drive and the folders on it incase there is something strange about it.

imagebrowser image

Any assistance is MUCH appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Try changing folder rights to allow the BESA Read/Write/Update permissions at the B2D folder level

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If this is Backup Exec 11d, you would need to delete these folders manually. For automatic expiring of IMG folders you would requrie Backup Exec 12.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Can you check to see if the files or drive is marked as Read only?

Sirius_Systems
Level 3
YES!  The VERITAS folder IS READ ONLY and it's write protected so I CAN'T change it.  Does it have to do with BESR using the same drive?  No other backups are active.

imagebrowser image

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Try changing folder rights to allow the BESA Read/Write/Update permissions at the B2D folder level

Sirius_Systems
Level 3
DUH! Should known,  Thank you for reminding me.  Now all my backups worked except for my Exchange.  I'll post separate issue.