cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 (Discovering devices)

Bengaul
Level 4

Hi,

A little while ago, I upgraded to BE2010 from 12.x. I have been happy with how the upgrade went, but now in my Devices, I have a few oddities. Under the (Discovering devices) node, as shown in the picture, I have red x's against the B2D folders, and tape drive. They all work fine, and the backups have been going well, but for these folders. 

Also one of the folders seems to be shared in some way, and that seems to be OK, but I don't know in what way it is shared?

Any help anyone?

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I'd suggest updating to BE 2010 R2 SP1 if you haven't done so already, and then running LiveUpdate to install the remaining patches released after SP1.

Once done, check back under the Devices tab and see if there is a change.

If not, right-click your server name and Pause/Unpause.

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the library if any of the tape is stucked in the drive, I would suggest you to perform a power

cycle of the server and the library

Bengaul
Level 4

Thanks for replying. The server already has SP1, and is fully patched, and Pause/Unpause does not seem to have any effect. The server and the library have been power cycled a fair few times already as it has been running fine for months now, and I have been doing windows updates etc.

Ben

AmolB

Are you able to move tapes from the drive to the slots through the Library Web Console.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When the Server is stuck in discovering devices stats this usually means that something is worng with the discovery of the SCSI devices.

I am pretty sure that when you power down the Library and then restart the BE services that the device discovery will be successful for the B2D folders. If this is the case you know that the problem lies somewhere with the library.

Are both HP2 entries refering to the same physical library? If yes: How is it connected to the two BE servers? Check if you have the san shared storage option installed - otherwise you will not be able to access one single library with multiple servers.

Furthermore you might want to check the adamm.log in the directory \Logs inside the BE installation folder as this contains all logs regarding device discovery and the eventlog "system" which also might contain entries if there are errors with the controller or bus.

Bengaul
Level 4

Hi,

We only have the one server, and it is attached to the tape drive via SCSI. The B2D folders are on a SAN that is linked via a dedicated Fibre Channel. The entries are pointing at the same library. The option for the SAN Shared Storage Option is unavailable due to licensing restrictions.

It seems to be some type of remote view of the server?

Ben

Colin_Weaver

That screen appears to be showing that you have a local media server and a remote one and that B2D for Week 4 is shared between the local and the remote and that all of the other devices are offline on the remote.

As you have indicated that you only have one media server it looks like a corruption inside the Backup Exec database - which typically will need a formal support case to resolve as it involved manual manipulation of the database content.

When you upgraded Backup Exec, did you migrate between hardware at the same time as this might cause some invalid db content?

Bengaul
Level 4

That is correct. I did move to new hardware. Don't suppose I can stick my head in the sand with this then??