cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R2 - 2008 DC Restore

Chris154
Not applicable

Hi All,

We are using Backup Exec 2010 R2 and are taking FULL backups of our Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controllers, the backups for which are showing as being successful for all volumes (i.e. C:\, E:\, F:\) and the System State and Shadow Copy.

On a yearly basis for audit requirements we have to test restoring our entire network onto servers at a different site, these servers being of dissimilar hardware.

I am in an absolute panic now however as we need to carry out these restores next week and no matter what I try I am unable to get the DC's up and running.  I have been carrying out the following steps:

-  Install 2008 R2 onto server, set computer name, disk partitions and NIC details same as that of backed up server - leave disjoined from the Domain.

-  Catalogue media, install BE Remote Agent onto newly built machine

-  Restore C:\, System State, Shadow Copy

-  Restore E:\ containing NTDS and SYSVOL

-  Restore F:\ containing Logs

-  Maybe I am wrong but I am having to restore the above drives individually since I have to redirect the restore and can only do one drive at a time.

-  Reboot server

I have tried different combinations of restoring just the System State rebooting, restoring the rest, restoring all drives and rebooting etc.

No matter what I try when the DC is rebooted it is still showing not joined to the Domain and the roles (e.g. AD, DNS etc) do not appear to be available.

Can someone please advise as I need to be able to restore these servers next week for DR tests, but also need to have a DR plan available should something ever go horribly wrong.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

1 REPLY 1

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to this KB article - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23130