cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 GRT error when backing up Esx 4.1 Virtual Machines

naslanidis
Level 3

I am getting the following message on all of my backup logs when attempting to backup VSphere 4.1 VMs:

Backup- VMVCB::\\XXXXXXtVm\(DC)XXXXXX(DC)\vm\XXXXX V-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine '\(DC)XXXX Datacenter(DC)\vm\XXXX does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup Exec to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

I have the Agent for Windows System installed. The machines I'm attempting to backup in this instance are XP SP3. I am unsure why I am getting this message when the agent is defintely installed. I've turned off windows firewa..

The strange thing is, I know the agent works because I am able to do a file level backup of the VM if I want to. I only get this error when using the Vmware agent to do a backup.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of any compatability issues please let me know.

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Check the TN below and make sure you have enabled GRT for your job in question:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH128728

THanks!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

What application that is supported for GRT is installed on these VMs? (Active Directory, SQL, Exchange)

Does the application require different credentials then what you are using to connect to the vCenter / ESX Host? i.e you use one account to connect to the vCenter / ESX host, but have a different account for connecting to the application running on the VM.

naslanidis
Level 3

Thanks yes it is enabled.

naslanidis
Level 3

Thanks for your reply. I'm just wanting to do a file level restore, there is no SQL/Exchange/AD installed.  However i'm noticing that the file level restore can still be done despite the errors that i'm getting.  This is a trial system at the moment. We have 11D running in production and i'm testing 2010 R3 because I want to upgrade. The account the job is running under is a domain admin for testing purposes so I don't think it's an authentication issue. 

For example: I do a full VM backup at 5pm, selecting the vmdk file only in the BE backup selection list.  Once the backup completes I get the GRT exception, but when I then begin a restore job I am able to see the files on the disk under "All Resources" that match the time (5pm) of the backup.

So the problem appears to be the that i'm getting the Completed With Exceptions message when there appears to be no problem.

It was my undestanding that GRT needs to be enabled for the VMware agent to do a file level restore, and that the agent for Windows Server needs to be installed in the guest. That's how I have it set at the moment.   The GRT is enabled for SQL/Exchange/AD but none of those are installed so I don't think the exception i'm getting is in reference to any of those.

naslanidis
Level 3

Update:

I decided to turn GRT off for SQL/Exchange/AD but still left GRT on for the vmware agent and now I do not get the exceptions.

So the question is: Why is Backup Exec returning a Completed With Exceptions message for GRT when SQL/Exchange/AD are not installed on that VM.  Obviously I can't leave GRT turned off because other VM's will have SQL/Exchange/AD installed.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Split the jobs so that VMs without applications are in a job with Application GRT disabled.

naslanidis
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. Sure, that's a work around but it doesn't really address the real issue. Why does it indicate exceptions with the backup job on VMs where those applications aren't installed.

I am trialing this version at present and will need to make a case to management. From the sounds of it it's a bug/problem. It's minor, but it doesn't encourage much confidence in the product. I would find it hard to believe that it's meant to work this way and you have to split up all your backup jobs.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the agents for Exchange/SQL etc aren't activated in trial mode are they?