Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 Unable to select mailboxes for restore

naslanidis
Level 3

BE 2010 R3 + latest patches

Exchange 2003 SP2 on a physical Win 2003 R2 server

I've had backups scheduled to run for months that have completed succesfully. Early on I was able to restore individual messages and select a single mailbox for restore so I thought it was safe to assume this was still occurring.  All of a sudden today I've gone to restore a mailbox and there is no option to select any folders under First Storage Group on any of my backups from the last few months, including from backup sets I know I've restored from before.

When I did a separate full backup right now (non scheduled), I was able to select individual mailboxes for restore. This is using the same credentials as in the scheduled job,

The Exchange settings in both jobs (the scheduled job and the one I just ran as a test) are identifical:

Backup Method:  Database & Logs (flush commiitted Logs)

Use Backup Exec Recovery Techhology (GRT)

Perform conistency check

Continue with backup if concistency check fails

When I look at the job log, both say the agent has been used and GRT is enabled for this job:

Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started
The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.

However when I expand the backup set detail information the one that's working has all the mailbox directories listed and the job that is not letting me restore individual mailboxes just has the following, 

Backup Set Detail Information
Log Files

If anyone can provide some suggestions as to why this is happening it would be appreciated.

Both jobs definitely appear to have identical settings so I'm confused as to why I can restore individual mailboxes from one and not from the scheduled job.

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Are you running incremental backup by any chance?

IS the backup going to disk or to tape?

naslanidis
Level 3

We run both full and incremental jobs, however the exchange backup is always a full backup each day. I'm not seeing any individual restores when looking at either full or incremental backup sets.

The backup is going to LTO5 tape.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Try duplicating your backup to disk first, and then trying to restore your data:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Mostly the cause of the issue is insufficent permission to the backup exec service account.