cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 unable to restore Exchange Mailbox, Hyper-V

Rob_Walker
Level 4

I am having a difficult time restoring Exchange mailboxes in a Hyper-V enviroment.  I have Server 2008 R2 as the host on 'workgroup'.  SBS 2011 is on a VM and part of domain.local.  Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP1 is installed on the host.  Agent for Windows, Agent for Hyper-V and Agent for Exchange are installed on the SBS 2011 VM.  I created Backup-to-Disk folders on external USB drives.

To backup up Exchange I drill down in the selection list for server.domain.local and select Microsoft Information Store.  I use the credentials for the SBS server Domain\administrator in my resource credentials.  I run a test of the credentials and get a 'successful'.  The backup job completes successfuly.

If I try to do a restore of an individual mailbox using the SBS credentials I receive the error:

Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource. Final error category: Resource Errors

In my second backup attempt using a different senario, I just backed up the Hyper-V VM.  In the properties for the Hyper-V backup job I enabled GRT of Exchange using virtual machine credentials but disabled GRT for Active Directory and Microsoft SQL.  The backup job complete with the following warning:

V-79-57344-38726 - Backup Exec failed to connect to virtual machine 'SBS2011' and was unable to coll...

I am at a loss what to do.  The SBS 2011 administrator (SBSadmin) has a mailbox on the SBS 2011 server.  I am using DOMAIN\SBSadmin credentials to back up Exchange and the credential test is 'successful' for both the backup job and the restore job.

Thanks for any assistance. 

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For an Exchang GRT restore, the Exchange 2010 Management tools needs to be installed on the Backup Exec server. Do you have them installed ?

Edit:
See technote below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64675

Rob_Walker
Level 4

This is a Hyper-V server with Backup Exec installed on the host.  The host is not a part of the domain so you can't install CDO/MAPI tools.

I did mnage to back up my mailstore, however, by not using GRT.  What I discovered is the updated agents were not getting pushout out to the SBS server.  I uninstalled to Backup Exec agents on the SBS server and then muched out the agents.  I can now do a mailstore backup but it is not a GRT backup.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited