cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 Will Not Comm With Remote Agents

lapidarynewbie
Level 3

Symantec support is working this, but I thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone our there has had the same problem and perhaps a solution.

Environment:

Backup Exec 2010 with media server running on Windows Server 2003 (latest patches). Three (3) remote agents and one SQL Server agent. All remotes are running the same Win2K3 OS. Media server is also a domain controller. (I inherited that.)

Problem scenario:

Backup Exec 2010 will back up local drives on the media server w/o a problem; however, when communicating with any remote agent to back up, the job kicks out the tape (which isn't anywhere nearly full) and asks for a new tape, runs for a while, and repeats the previous. Backups run a miserly 1 MB/min. where previous speed was 700+ MB/min. If you canx the job, the tape becomes unappendable (End Marker Unreadable).

This began happening right after an unexpected reboot of the media server happened in the middle of a backup job. The reboot resulted in at least the damaging/removal of IPSEC setting from the registry and cut-off of all communication with all other systems in the network. A reregistering of the IPSEC dll involved restored communication.

Or, at least, it seemed. All AD, DNS, etc. services to/from the DC/media server work just fine. Just BE's comm seems to have problems.

We have tried:

1. Running w/o AOFO.

2. A complete uninstall and reinstall of the media server (including being sure all old entries in the HKLM portion of the registry are removed).

3. A complete uninstall and reinstall (via push) of one remote agent (and a backup only of that remote agent).

If you have any insights, explanations, or fixes to propose, we are very open to hearing them.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Have you checked...

1. Any firewalls on the servers stopping communication?

2. Firewall ports open on your network to allow communication between RAWS + the media server?

3. That the RAWS agents are all publishing correctly to your media server? If there are multiple entries, delete everything but your current media server.

4. Upgrading your media server with the latest patches, and then pushing these out to the remote servers?

5. Any changes on your network that might have affected speeds?

By uninstalling everything, that makes it a clean install...no reason for it to still be hanging!

Craig

lapidarynewbie
Level 3

1. No firewalls.

2. No ports have been closed since the backups previously worked.

3. Not sure what you mean by this. Please explain further.

4. This was the case prior to the backups failing.

5. No changes to the network other than the unexpected reboot which damaged IPSec information in the registry of the media server. In fact, the IPSec entries had been wiped out.

I am going to try upgraded to 2010 SP2 today.

CraigV

Your Remote Agent for Windows Servers that gets installed on each server you want to back up, needs to publish its IP address/name to the media server. Without that happening, the media server doesn't know it exists.

You can open up the RAWS agent on an affected server (there should be an icon next to your date/time), and check the publishing tab...

Do you mean you're upgrading to BE 2010 R2?

HarrisS
Level 3

Hi, i have the same problem, the difference is that i lost the agent resources after a change of the Domain Controller. Have you tried adding the account of the administrator to domain group policy Log in as batch job ?  

Any ideas here ?? 

CraigV

Any news on this?