cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 Backup to Disk & Tape Drive

Eugene_P
Level 2

Hi

I would like to know if I am able to backup to the local disk or to a NAS using BE 2012.

Do I require any Agent or Options?

I have a Tape Drive attached to the Media Server, Do I need any other Options to backup to the Tape Drive?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you were backing up FROM a NAS you'd need 1 x Remote Agent for Windows Servers license. Backing up to a NAS doesn't require a license at all.

If your NAS can do iSCSI, then I'd suggest you use this...it's going to get around a lot of authentication and configuration issues. You can read my article below on this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

As for the tape drive, there is no license required for a stand-alone tape drive. The first drive in an autoloader or library is covered by the media server license, but every subsequent drive in an autoloader/library requires a Library Expansion Option license...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you were backing up FROM a NAS you'd need 1 x Remote Agent for Windows Servers license. Backing up to a NAS doesn't require a license at all.

If your NAS can do iSCSI, then I'd suggest you use this...it's going to get around a lot of authentication and configuration issues. You can read my article below on this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

As for the tape drive, there is no license required for a stand-alone tape drive. The first drive in an autoloader or library is covered by the media server license, but every subsequent drive in an autoloader/library requires a Library Expansion Option license...

Thanks!

Eugene_P
Level 2

Hi Craig

thanks for the advise.

However is it possible to use network drive to backup to the NAS?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. You can define a share on the NAS and then create a disk storage on that share for your backups.  Check the HCL to make sure that your NAS is supported.

BE 2012 HCL

If it is not in the HCL, check its functionality using this utility

B2Dtest.exe