cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 - SP1a Install Fails

chudless
Level 4

I have 2 issues, but I'll address them seperately as they are not connected.

The subject of this issue is regarding the inability or failure of SP1a installation to my BE2012 Server. and seeing as though Tech Support will not answer my emails (and I have a support agreement) and their website bombs out when trying to log support calls, I thought the learned community may be able to help me as I've exhausted all the resources and things I can think of.

Ok. So I cannot install SP1a on my Media Server. It hangs stating it is installing so after clicking Cancel it says that it is installed. If you then run Live Update it prompts you to download and install SP1a once more. It is not installed as many of the fixes in that SP are not evident.

I have even removed BE in total from the server and re-installed, and made sure when I removed it that I clean all files/folders and cleaned up the registry. The backups run fine on my servers, but I find this inability to install 1a annoying because of the fixes it brought about.

Any ideas/solutions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance

JP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chudless
Level 4

Well, for some completely unknown reason it has now worked on both servers....please don't ask me why, as I don't know myself.

Many thanks for those who have made a contribution and effort to helping me, it is/was greatly appreciated regardless.

Cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi If you have already tried reinstaling BE2012, have you tried installing from BE2012 sp1a ISO, if you have not tried that please install it from that ISO should help Link is below https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=133703 Thanks.

chudless
Level 4

Hi,

So you're suggesting that I uninstall the entire BE 2012 once again, and try installing from the sp1a ISO?

That link take me to the trial version, does it inclue SP1a?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Yes that link ,I have given you from backupexec site ,which has latest BE ,that is BE2012sp1a , yes it gives you trialware option for customer not having licenses as you have it please enter or import your SLF keys and it will be licensed version of BE2012 sp1a. Once you install it please got to programs and features and click on install updates it will show you spa installed. When you run live update this time as spa is already installed ,it will just register it in live update and then please re run livedste to install 2 hotfixes after sp1a. Thanks.

chudless
Level 4

I ran a repair as the uninstall option to remove only program files failed. The repair worked, server rebooted and the situation is as was; BE tells me SP1a is installed but when you run live update it tells me to install SP1a.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi chudless,

Clear the LiveUpdate cache as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68334

...and I'd also suggest you check the forum topic below and give it a read-through...looks like some other guys have had the same issue:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2012-service-pack-1a-released

THanks!

chudless
Level 4

Have cleared the cache....No change.

I've also just noticed the same issue on my other media server (2 geographically different locations) so it's happening on 2 totally separate physical machines!

I'll go through the 2nd link you suggested and get back to you.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver

If you are having problems logging a support case through the web portral then please phone customer care/ technical support to get a case logged and also inform them that you are having probelsm with the web portal.

chudless
Level 4

Well, for some completely unknown reason it has now worked on both servers....please don't ask me why, as I don't know myself.

Many thanks for those who have made a contribution and effort to helping me, it is/was greatly appreciated regardless.

Cheers

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...marked your last post as the solution. Check the Event Viewer and Alerts tab within BE to see if anything different shows up during the installation!