cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 SP1a installation & agent push update problems..

aft3rgl0w
Level 4

Hello

we tried to upgrade through liveupdate, our BE 2012 to SP1a. The server is running windows 2008 standard SP2. The liveupdate appears to have been completed succesfully but i wanted to verify that it has intalled succesfully. Checking the Help-About BE it displays version as 14.0 Rev 1798 64bit.

Is that SP1a? or should it be 14.0 Rev 1798.106? The thing is that i never checked the version # beforehand in order to know it shifted. Also if i go to Installation & licensing -> Installed updates then SP1 is displayed as an installed update.

After the installation i tried to push update the remote agent on (a single remote server for a start) but had no success. I tried several ways that are described in the following articles.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179999

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179142

So i first went through the first method in TECH179999. More specifically, on the "backup & restore" tab i right-click on a server (win2k3 or win2k8) and selected update and run the job. it appeared to have finished "installing" and assuming that it updated the agent i rebooted server and checked beremote.exe file version (described in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186717) if it should be updated from 14.0.1798 to 14.0.1798.106 but it didnt.

i then tried the other recommended method "install agents and backup exec servers on other servers" from TECH179142. i added the same server as before plus another remote server,selected remote agent as install option,gave in domain admin credentials, and pushed the update as described at on the previous URL. On the previously that i had already tried the previous update way it didnt actually update anything as it stated that there is no update needed etc. On the newly selected server it stated that it will indeed update the agent, and during installation progress field i saw some cab files etc passing by, it later completed, i rebooted the server but still beremote.exe file version hasnt changed.

Also rebooting the main BE 2012 server and then checking ("backup exec version" column that you can specify in the servers list it) all the other servers backup exec version it is still stated as 14.1798 and not 14.1798.106

Any suggestions are welcomed :)

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Also if i go to Installation & licensing -> Installed updates then SP1 is displayed as an installed update.

As you have verifed the above way sp1 is installed , Please check in Programs and features for win2008 or Add remove programs for win2003 & click on installed updates on left hand side

Once done you will see there Sp1a installed for Symantec.

About not able to push updates , Have you tried doing local install , does that work?

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For info SP1a reports as SP1 in the installed programs option. The only places I am aware that SP1a is reported is when it is not yet installed and you use Live Update to look for available patches and in the bkupinst2012.html file after it has been installed.