cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Linked Jobs

yeow_km
Level 5

I am trying to create a new backup job which is linked to an existing job.

Job A backup to network storage

Job B backup to tape drive.

how do I create a linked between both jobs.

I cant seems to find the steps to create a linked job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Create your backup job and then click on the Add Stage button to add a duplicate to tape stage.  This stage will be automatically linked to the backup job.  If your job has both full and incremental/differential jobs, you can add stages to the full and incremental/differential jobs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

See if this article by pkh helps you in configring links between jobs: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/use-bemcli-chain-jobs

yeow_km
Level 5

I can't remember the steps, but I know it can be done using BE2012 GUI ?

Mandar_Sahasrab
Level 4
Employee

It is not possible to link one backup job to another backup job in BE 2012. I want to understand the reason behind linking two backup jobs. Do both the backup jobs A and B backup same data and is it desired that after the data backup to network storage by Job A, the same data be backed up to tape by Job B? In that case you may want to create a backup + duplicate job in which duplicate job is set to run immediately after the backup job runs. The destination for backup job would be network storage and that for duplicate job would be the tape.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can only link duplicate jobs and convert to virtual machine jobs using GUI in BE 2012. 

To configure those: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187265

yeow_km
Level 5

your understanding is correct.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Create your backup job and then click on the Add Stage button to add a duplicate to tape stage.  This stage will be automatically linked to the backup job.  If your job has both full and incremental/differential jobs, you can add stages to the full and incremental/differential jobs.

Mandar_Sahasrab
Level 4
Employee

I think then you may want to add a 'duplicate' stage to existing backup job. The steps are,

1. Create or edit an existing backup.
  2. Click 'add stage' button on the right side box titled "Backup" which lists 'full' / 'incremental', etc., which shows a menu that lists 'duplicate to tape', 'duplicate to disk', etc.
  3. Select 'duplicate to tape', which adds a new stage to the existing backup job.
  4. Click 'edit' on the box titled 'duplicate', which opens configuration options for the duplicate stage.
  5. On 'schedule' tab, select option 'duplicate data immediately after source task completes'. Select the relevant backup task from the dropdown.
  6. On 'storage' tab select the required tape device.
  7. Click 'ok' twice to submit the job.
  8. This will create a duplicate stage that copied data to required tape device and runs immediately after the source backup job (to network storage) completes.

Alternatively, you can use 'Backup to disk and then duplicate to tape' while creating new backup + duplicate.

Thanks,
Mandar

yeow_km
Level 5

it works now.