cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014 and Windows Server 2012 Std R2

ravishankarappa
Level 4

I have BE2014 installed on a Windows Server 2008 Std R2. This is connected to a EXABYTE tape library. Couple weeks ago the tape library died. We have bought a new Windows server (HP Gen 9 Proliant) and a Quantum SuperLoader 3 Tape Library. I have two questions.

Q.1  Can I transfer the BE2014 licenses from old server running Windows 2008 R2 Std to Windows Server 2012 Std R2?

Q.2  I still have unused LTO-3 tape bar code labels. Can I use these with new LTO-6 tapes without problem? 

Regards

Ravi

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You might want to consider moving BE from 1 server to the other and retaining your backup information, unless you're looking at doing a clean installation. Read below on how to do this:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129826

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH67296

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

About the barcodes, as the library will know it has LTO-6 drives, if these barcodes decode to LTO-3 standard, the library may refuse to put the tape into the drive even though the barcode is valid.  Put an LTO-3 drive into the same library (if it is possibe) then the same barcodes might be accepted (on an LTO-3 tape).

As such it is not just compatible with the library that is the issue it is identification that the tape technology matches the installed hardware capability and as such I would expect your LTO-3 labels to not work even if the library reads them - only way to really know though is to try it with 1 tape as a test and make sure a backup job can use that tape to write to.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I missed the LTO3 and LTO6 thing earlier. You actually have a problem. Your new LTO6 tape drive will not read LTO3 tapes. I assume that you would want to read the old tapes. At most it can only read 2 generations back which is LTO4. You cannot put LTO3 barcode labels on LTO6 tapes. As previously advised, this will misidentified them.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) yes 2) you got to check whether the format of the barcode labels are compatible with the new tape library

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You might want to consider moving BE from 1 server to the other and retaining your backup information, unless you're looking at doing a clean installation. Read below on how to do this:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129826

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH67296

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

About the barcodes, as the library will know it has LTO-6 drives, if these barcodes decode to LTO-3 standard, the library may refuse to put the tape into the drive even though the barcode is valid.  Put an LTO-3 drive into the same library (if it is possibe) then the same barcodes might be accepted (on an LTO-3 tape).

As such it is not just compatible with the library that is the issue it is identification that the tape technology matches the installed hardware capability and as such I would expect your LTO-3 labels to not work even if the library reads them - only way to really know though is to try it with 1 tape as a test and make sure a backup job can use that tape to write to.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I missed the LTO3 and LTO6 thing earlier. You actually have a problem. Your new LTO6 tape drive will not read LTO3 tapes. I assume that you would want to read the old tapes. At most it can only read 2 generations back which is LTO4. You cannot put LTO3 barcode labels on LTO6 tapes. As previously advised, this will misidentified them.

ravishankarappa
Level 4

It is going to be clean new installation, for the following reason. The old tape library was using LTO-3 tapes, and the new tape library will not read them. So I basically will start fresh.