cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014: copys only disk to empty tape

David_41
Not applicable

Hello,

I have one problem with a copy job from disk to tape.

I use two tapes for my full backup jobs. First Job is a copy of my cifs direct to tape and a couple other server jobs run first to disk and start after a copy to tape.

The Problem comes the next day when my last server is running the copy to tape Job. BE takes the tape with my cifs, which is the one with less free space. The tape runs out of space and BE says pleas insert a new tape.

But on tape 2 is more than enough space. I have the Problem since my cifs and the last backup won’t fit on one tape. I’m afraid that I will have the same problem with my cifs if they won’t fit on one tape.

At the moment I cancel the disk to tape job and run it again. Then BE takes the other tape with more than enough free space. Or I take the Tape with my cifs out of my library, that BE can’t take the almost full tape.

On that behavior I think my settings with attachment time settings are oke.

Not sure if it’s a feature to complete copy jobs to tape only on free tapes? Or can I change this setting somewhere?

Someone know how to deal with it, without adding another tape now and one more when the cifs needs more than one (1,39TB)tape, when all could fit on tow Tapes? My Server backups take round about 600GB. Maybe necessary, I use a MSL2024 with a pool of slots where I insert my tapes for my full backups.

Tanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

By design Backup Exec will only append to the first tape when a job it ran, after the first tape is full BE will need a overwritable tape so it can start writing at the beginning of the tape

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I couldn't follow all your details.  But your problem starts with whatever job is writing to the second tape as as overwrite instead of an append to the first tape.  Then whatever follows just needs to keep appending until the first tape is full and let BE handle the span to the second tape.