cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014 slow restore rate from tape

mgz1
Level 2

Hi,

My BackupExec 2014 restore rate is to slow comparing to backup job rate.

Backup server (physical machine) is connected with 10GbE to NDMP storage and with LTO (Fujitsu LT20/ Ultrium 6) using 8Gb/s FC. 

I am backing up and restoring vsphere datastores from NDMP storage. 

Backup rate is approx 4,5 - 6GB/min. This is OK and acceptable.

Restore rate is approx 680MB/min. This is very slow.

I am restoring one VM in size of 36.8GB and restore lasts for 58 minutes - almost an hour.

Has anyone experienced same problem? Any tips? Solutions?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...depends on what your RAID setting is, and if you're restoring to something like a dedupe folder which will then actively be deduplicating your data.

You can try tuning your tape, but in this case I'd rather recommend looking at the disk target to see if it isn't perhaps bottlenecking there instead.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

...depends on what your RAID setting is, and if you're restoring to something like a dedupe folder which will then actively be deduplicating your data.

You can try tuning your tape, but in this case I'd rather recommend looking at the disk target to see if it isn't perhaps bottlenecking there instead.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If DAR ( Direct Access Recovery ) is enabled, disable it and retry the restore.

Secondly, as you mentioned vSphere datastores, VMware's SAN Transport mode (along with BE 15) should be much quicker than NDMP restores.

mgz1
Level 2

You pointed me to right direction! At destination disks are pretty busy. Solved for me. Can’t expect much from SATAs. Thanks!

CraigV

1 way around this is to put disks into the media server (if possible) and then restore locally before copying to the array.

Glad to have helped!

Thanks!

mgz1
Level 2

You can't restore something directly to local disks if it was backed up from NDMP. If NDMP used as backup source, a destination must be ndmp storage.

But I could backup from ndmp to D2T and when restoring - restore from tape to local disks and than to ndmp storage. Will think about it.

CraigV

You're absolutely right, and I clean forgot about that. That should work...

Thanks!