cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE for Windows 10.0.5520 - Netware Remote Agent won't connect

Tiffany_Lucas
Level 2
Hello. We're having problems with our Backup Exec for Windows Servers. Here's the specs:

Backup Exec for Windows Servers:
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.0 rev5520 SP3
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Remote Agents for Netware:
We have tried to install the version from BE itself which is:
Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 Build 1152.4
We have also tried to install the newest version we could find on this website:
Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 Build 1158.9
Novell Netware 6.5 SP5

No matter what we do, backups will only fail. We can go into properties of jobs and test all the connections for our two servers we want backed up, all are successful. We can also open the servers in properties and view everything as if to select what we want backed up.

Errors:
Regular Backup Run:
Remote Agent not detected on .Novell Directory.
Test Run:
Device : .Novell Directory, .Novell Directory/WC1/Schema:Check status : Error: e000846b, The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

Despite what the errors say, the remote agents are running on both servers and we can ping by name from the backup server to the netware servers and back perfectly.

Please help us. Thank you for any information you can give.
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Silly questions first -

is the remote agent serial installed on the media server?
Have you, from the Bakcup Selections Pane, right clicked the Novell server and chosen "Connect as" and specified an acount that has rights on the server?

Tiffany_Lucas
Level 2
Okay, silly answers here too.

1. How would one install a remote agent serial on the media server (where is this serial on the newest download listed earlier)?
2. And I suppose by "Backup Selections Pane" you are meaning from the properties of a backup job. There is no selection "Connect as" on the right-click menu for the Novell Servers.

I just tried to install from the media server again using Tools->Serial Numbers and Installation this time, since you said something about the serial number of the remote agent. Though this looked like it was doing the same thing the "Install Remote Agents" selection under it was doing (which is what we used earlier). It didn't fix anything either.

Thank you for your help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1) As for the serial, sounds like you did it right there. Should be a BESEERNUM.XML file in the \Data directory that will list all the serials installed on each media server

2) edit the selection list in graphic mode, and it should be availalble from there. (i think - it's been a while since I had to backup Novel servers)

if you logon to the media server as the BackupExec service account, can you still browse the Novel Servers and expand them?

criley
Employee Accredited
You are right to use the latest NetWare agent (9.1.1158.9).

Make sure that your login account for the NetWare server is in the correct format of .user.context. For example:

.admin.symantec

Also, check that NDMPD.NLM is running on your NetWare server - use the following command at the server console to check:

MODULES NDMPD

Hope that helps..

Tiffany_Lucas
Level 2
Oh thank you, Chris! The login account was the problem. It was just weird that in the properties it passed the credentials check, then wouldn't pass them on the test run. I understand now! Thank you very much.

Though, when I ran the test run this time, we got a capacity check error which caused it to fail. I read somewhere else in the forums that it could be that the size of the folders didn't line up or something so I'm running a full backup now. I'll let you know if that fixed our whole problem.

Thank you again!

criley
Employee Accredited
No problem Tiffany - happy to help :)

Tiffany_Lucas
Level 2
Technically, the problem that this thread was originally about is solved, but we have a new one. It seems like it's just a nuisance though. The job fails after the backup with the error that says:

0xe000feba - An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem.

I read on the knowledgebase here that this could be fixed with the Open File Option, but I know that was checked when the remote agent was installed on the servers. Other files in the exceptions list are said to be opened but backed up also. This could be a new problem, but it seems to be easily fixed. Thank you all again for your help.

criley
Employee Accredited
I assume you are referring to the following:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275916

Are you saying that you have a license for the NetWare Open File Option? If so, this needs to be enabled in the job (under settings-->advanced open file option) - it wont be enabled by default.

Hope that helps...