Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job on Novell client failing - Status 41

JHeaton
Level 6

NBU - 7.1

Media Server - Server 2k8R2

Client - Novell Netware

Backup jobs go directly to tape.  It's not a tape issue, as different tapes are being used each night.  The backup fails at almost exactly the same time each night (1:10 am).  The job has backed up almost the same exact amount of data each time at failure point (76.6 GB).

I've followed the Status 41 troubleshooting document, in the sense of maximizing logging of:  bpbrm & bptm.  I don't see any errors in bpcd log, or bptm log.  I do see the following in the bpbrm log, but it doesn't seem to point me to a cause.

01:07:33.578 [2228.904] <2> bpbrm main: ADDED FILES TO DB FOR osprla_1314248401 500 /OSPRLA/VOL1/Users/name/Fish & Game/Folder/file.doc
01:13:06.890 [2228.904] <2> bpbrm readline: bpbrm timeout after 300 seconds
01:13:06.890 [2228.904] <2> bpbrm kill_child_process_Ex: start
01:14:57.640 [2228.904] <2> bpbrm wait_for_child: start
01:14:57.640 [2228.904] <2> bpbrm wait_for_child: child exit_status = 150
01:14:57.640 [2228.904] <2> sendViaMapi: attempting to send mail
01:14:57.640 [2228.904] <2> sendViaMapi: MAPILogon error (-2147467259).You may have to setup a mail profile for the NetBackup mail account (NetBackup).
01:14:57.640 [2228.904] <16> bpbrm Exit: cannot send mail to jheaton@dfg.ca.gov
01:14:57.640 [2228.904] <2> ConnectionCache::connectAndCache: Acquiring new connection for host master_server, query type 1
01:14:57.671 [2228.904] <2> vnet_pbxConnect: pbxConnectEx Succeeded
01:14:57.671 [2228.904] <2> logconnections: BPDBM CONNECT FROM mediaserver.54690 TO masterserver.1556 fd = 680
01:14:57.718 [2228.904] <2> db_end: Need to collect reply
01:15:02.734 [2228.904] <2> bpbrm Exit: client backup EXIT STATUS 41: network connection timed out

I've spoken with our network guy, and there isn't anything in the switches/routers, etc. at this time, either.  We've been going around and around on this problem for a couple of weeks now.  We have no idea if the backup job is simply getting hung up on a particular folder/file, or what's going on. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JHeaton
Level 6

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  It's really difficult sometimes, working with clients that are so old, and don't have great documentation.

I heard back from Symantec Tech support, and the issue ended up being with the Open File Manager.  We disabled this, and the backup was successful.  I guess it was getting hung up on an open file, and ended up timing out, trying to figure out what to do with it.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

Joe

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same Novell Client as in this post? https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/status-59-novell-client

You need to examine logs on the client to find out where exactly the backup process on the client is getting stuck. As per the manual that I've mentioned in your status 59 post - BP logs have information about user operations, such as backups and restores.

For now, increase Client Read Timeout on the media server to 900 (15 minutes).

JHeaton
Level 6

No, not the same client.  We have a "sister" department that we've been setting up backups for all their field offices, and it seems we have problems with each of them.  That other issue was resolved, I should update it, and close it.

I've increased the timeout now, we'll see if that helps.

Thanks, Marianne :)

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Hi J,

What I think is there is network connectivity issue with the Backup Server and your clients, request you to even check the RTOs if any between them. Increasing timed out might solve the issue but should check this aspect as well.

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Hey J,

One more thing, that you have mentioned is "The job has backed up almost the same exact amount of data each time at failure point (76.6 GB)." This means that you should definitely go through the bpcd logs and should find out with which folder or file the error is occuring and you can browse it and if it takes time to being browsed then you can exclude and try backing up the rest part. Try this and post.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NOT bpcd log - that is for connectivity.

As per the Novell Guide, the BP log contains backup info (similar to bpbkar log on Unix/Windows clients).

********* EDIT **********

Mmmmm..... just had another look at the manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52827

p. 53 lists all the log folders.

BPCD is for connectivity
BP is for the bp.nlm user interface
BPBACK is for user-directed backups

I cannot find equivalent for bpbkar....

All I can suggest is that all the log folders that are created by default be examined for backup details.

JHeaton
Level 6

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  It's really difficult sometimes, working with clients that are so old, and don't have great documentation.

I heard back from Symantec Tech support, and the issue ended up being with the Open File Manager.  We disabled this, and the backup was successful.  I guess it was getting hung up on an open file, and ended up timing out, trying to figure out what to do with it.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

Joe