cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R3 SP1, Autoloader NEC T30, Jobs hang in the queue without failure code

pyro-gerl
Level 3

Hello to all forum users,

I have a massive problem with our autoloader and Backup Exec 2010 and hope one of you can help me here.

Technical Specs:
Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP1 Hotfix 167567

LSI SAS Controller 9200-8E

Windows 2008 Server 64bit(Host VMWare ESXi 5.0.0, 469512)

Backup Exec don´t recognizes inserted tape in autoloader and drive(in autoloader). I see the Autoloader "correctly" recognized under the units, including all bays and the description are obvious. Job is created and started - the job hangs in the queue, the time continues to run. Unfortunately, no error is issued.

Already installed on the second windows server, Backup Exec reinstalled, autoloader driver reinstalled.

Maybe someone here could help me because I and the dealer don´t know where´s the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We can't officially support SCSI or USB pass through into VMs with Backup Exec and the symptoms you describe are typical of the random issues we have had reported by customers that have tried it.

We will support you if you can prove to us that this same fault exists when the library is connected via the same interface card into a physical server instead of a virtual server (although we would want to research the condition on the physical server )

Recommendation is therefore switch your media server to a Physical machine

As an aside (we had a partner point out something else about this type of configuration earlier this week)

If your media server is virtualized and backs up other VMs  in the same ESX environment then should anything break ESX, your media server will also be broken. As an English idiom this is known as "Putting your eggs in one basket" i.e. if you drop the basket everything inside is broken.

As such best practice is to run your backup server outside the ESX environment anyway. That way if ESX has a failure, your backup server should still be available, and if your backup server does something nasty - it won't effect ESX.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

newsolutionBE
Level 6

edit

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We can't officially support SCSI or USB pass through into VMs with Backup Exec and the symptoms you describe are typical of the random issues we have had reported by customers that have tried it.

We will support you if you can prove to us that this same fault exists when the library is connected via the same interface card into a physical server instead of a virtual server (although we would want to research the condition on the physical server )

Recommendation is therefore switch your media server to a Physical machine

As an aside (we had a partner point out something else about this type of configuration earlier this week)

If your media server is virtualized and backs up other VMs  in the same ESX environment then should anything break ESX, your media server will also be broken. As an English idiom this is known as "Putting your eggs in one basket" i.e. if you drop the basket everything inside is broken.

As such best practice is to run your backup server outside the ESX environment anyway. That way if ESX has a failure, your backup server should still be available, and if your backup server does something nasty - it won't effect ESX.