cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 restore single item from Exchange 2003 Public Folders, possible?

Jasper_Kimmel
Level 3

Hi,

Is it possible to restore a single item in an Exchange 2003 public folder from the backup made with BE 2010?

Regards,

Jasper

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do I need any agents for this duplication? What if I first make a backup to disk, do I need any other agents besides the Exchange Agent?

No. You do not need any other extra agent/ license for duplication. Your Exchange agent is enough to take the backups to tapes or disk. Duplication does not require any licenses because it is just like making a copy of backed up data from disk to tape or tape to disk.

Just to be clear, this means a complete public folder and not a single post in one of the folders? 

Yes that is correct. Backup Exec will be able to restore the individual Public folder and not the single post inside the public folder. I think this is the same way that it use to restore in the previous versions too. So there is no change on it.

So for example if you have Public folder database and inside that you have 10 Public folders, then Backup Exec will be able to restore any of the 10 individual folders provided that the backups are GRT backups.

Note: Just a quick note here that with BE 2010 and Exchange 2007 and above, individual Public folders can be restored directly from tapes too and there is no need for duplicating the data.

Also DO NOT TURN ON ADVANCED OPEN FILE OPTION (AOFO) FOR EXCHANGE 2003 BACKUPS. It has many limitations and so not supported.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6

Yes. If the backups taken were using the Granular restore Technology (GRT) option and backups were taken on DIsk then you will be able to restore single items from Public folder of Exchange 2003.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Jasper_Kimmel
Level 3

Hi Sush...,

This is only possible when the backup is made to disk or also when it is made to tape?

Another question. I have read that restoring single items from Public Folders with GRT on a Exchange 2010 server is not possible anymore. Is this correct?

Thanks

Sush---
Level 6

If the backups are on tapes then you will have to duplicate the data to disk. Then from the duplicated data from disk you will be able to restore the individual item from Public Folder of Exchange 2003.

Another question. I have read that restoring single items from Public Folders with GRT on a Exchange 2010 server is not possible anymore. Is this correct?

This is NOT TRUE. Backup Exec 2010 can restore the individual public folder of Exchaange 2010 too.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Jasper_Kimmel
Level 3

Sush,

"If the backups are on tapes then you will have to duplicate the data to disk. Then from the duplicated data from disk you will be able to restore the individual item from Public Folder of Exchange 2003."

Do I need any agents for this duplication? What if I first make a backup to disk, do I need any other agents besides the Exchange Agent?

Regarding to my 2nd question. You replied "This is NOT TRUE. Backup Exec 2010 can restore the individual public folder of Exchaange 2010 too.".

Just to be clear, this means a complete public folder and not a single post in one of the folders?

Sush---
Level 6

No. You do not need any other extra agent/ license for duplication. Your Exchange agent is enough to take the backups to tapes or disk. Duplication does not require any licenses because it is just like making a copy of backed up data from disk to tape or tape to disk.

Yes that is correct. Backup Exec will be able to restore the individual Public folder and not the single post inside the public folder. I think this is the same way that it use to restore in the previous versions too. So there is no change on it.

So for example if you have Public folder database and inside that you have 10 Public folders, then Backup Exec will be able to restore any of the 10 individual folders provided that the backups are GRT backups.

Note: Just a quick note here that with BE 2010 and Exchange 2007 and above, individual Public folders can be restored directly from tapes too and there is no need for duplicating the data.

Also DO NOT TURN ON ADVANCED OPEN FILE OPTION (AOFO) FOR EXCHANGE 2003 BACKUPS. It has many limitations and so not supported.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Jasper_Kimmel
Level 3

Thanks. Everything is clear now.