cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 with optimized duplication - need help

rasmusan
Level 3

Hello

I have setup a solution with a BE2012 CAS with a local Deduplication folder and a BE2012 MMS also with a local deduplication folder.

Jobs are running on the CAS server, backing up some VMs (with GRT enabled), and then duplicates to the MMS, thus utilizing optimized duplication.

I have 2 questions/issues:

1. the deduplication folder on the MMS is not as "big" as on the CAS, even though the same data is being backed up - Thus I am afraid if all data is present on the MMS? However I was doing backup only to the CAS server in the beginning (2-3 weeks), before adding the MMS and starting the duplication jobs... dedup folder on CAS is around 1,5TB and 680GB on MMS...

2. I have read that it should be possible to configure BE 2012, so that the catalog is replicated to every BE server (CAS/MMS). how is this setup?

thanks for any help :)

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) Till the time the backups to dedup folder on CASO server are not crossing size of MMS server there won't be any issue. You have to plan the duplication to MMS dedup folder by taking it's space limitation into consideration. 

2) Go to storage view. Double click on Managed Media Server. Select seetings from the left pane of the opened window. Set the Keep Catalogs on setting to "Both Servers". 

rasmusan
Level 3
1) not sure you understand what i mean. I am worried if the dedupe folder on the MMS depends on the dedupe folder on the CAS? Or if I can be sure it holds all duplicated data independently.. 2)tried that but the option is greyed out so I can't change it !?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) Duplicated data will be held independently by dedup folder on MMS. As the catalog is centralized, keep backingup the catalog frequently to be safe from any CASO server issues.

2) Have a look at this Tech Note: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57735

Thanks....

rasmusan
Level 3

thanks alot for your replies :)

1) OK - thanks for clarifying this.

2) I think that Tech Note is for BE 2010 - I can't seem to find any way to remove SSO option in BE 2012

regards

rasmusan
Level 3

thanks alot for your replies :)

1) OK - thanks for clarifying this.

2) I think that Tech Note is for BE 2010 - I can't seem to find any way to remove SSO option in BE 2012

regards

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

SSO will be installed as part of Enterprise server option starting from BE 2012.

EDIT: Just checked in one of my custoomer's setup. On Managed Media Server i can see Enterprise server option as Licensed but not installed and SSO as licensed and Installed. And there is no option to choose in installation window for installing or removing SSO. 

I would wait for other members response on how to resolve the grayed out Keep Catalogs option issue.

Thanks....