cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 + 2 ADs Servers

SAZI_IT
Level 3

Hello,

I've 2 VMs running W2012r2 (DCSRV01 and DCSRV02) with Active Directories in a same forest.

Should I backup AD SystemState for both VM or just one is enough ?

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If they are VMs maybe you should look at virtual agent backups (assuming they are in either Hyper-V or ESXi and depending on if writing to tape and where Backup Exec Server is installed) Your restore process for one DC is much simpler of you do this and you can enable GRT to get at AD objects and individual files.

To answer your question however (without swicthing to Virtual agent backups) really depends on your restore plans as the System State is not just the container for AD information it is contains the core configuration of the server itself and is a required item to do an SDR restore (where you start an operating system from a bootable DVD and a restore from within this temporary OS to put the original OS back on the harddisks.) Without the system state you would have to manually install and configure the operating system, applicatons, shares, printers, security etc before restoring data files. If you do decide to not backup the system state on one DC then make sure the one you are backing up is the FSMO role owner

BTW You can make a decision to only enable GRT against AD on one of the DC's as in theorey this would not be needed on both.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If they are VMs maybe you should look at virtual agent backups (assuming they are in either Hyper-V or ESXi and depending on if writing to tape and where Backup Exec Server is installed) Your restore process for one DC is much simpler of you do this and you can enable GRT to get at AD objects and individual files.

To answer your question however (without swicthing to Virtual agent backups) really depends on your restore plans as the System State is not just the container for AD information it is contains the core configuration of the server itself and is a required item to do an SDR restore (where you start an operating system from a bootable DVD and a restore from within this temporary OS to put the original OS back on the harddisks.) Without the system state you would have to manually install and configure the operating system, applicatons, shares, printers, security etc before restoring data files. If you do decide to not backup the system state on one DC then make sure the one you are backing up is the FSMO role owner

BTW You can make a decision to only enable GRT against AD on one of the DC's as in theorey this would not be needed on both.

SAZI_IT
Level 3

Hi Colin,

I've at weekends a job in BE, that backups all Hyper-V's VMs (it includes DC01 and DC02) and export they to a network-share (VHDx + XMLs files).

My other job that backups System State of my DC is a daily job (with GRT).
I've checked [netdom query fsmo] and all 5 FSMO Roles are at same server (DC01).
Both DCs are at same LAN, we don't have branch offices.

So, I'll do daily backups only of my DC01's System State + Active Directory. And at weekends, backup all my Hyper-V's VMs.

Thanks.